1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Barebones Computer...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EdGreene, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EdGreene

EdGreene Banned Thread Starter

Just bought this: Intel Celeron (D) 2.8 GHz ASUS BAREBONE Computer.

Gonna start table-top building when it is delivered, next week. Shouldn't I be all right installing my take out (of this machine) 40 GIG HD with/XP Pro already installed?
    Shouldn't it just boot up;
    or what should I do to insure a smooth start?

I built this machine in October, 2001 and though it has 280 GIG of hard drive, it needs some refinement. I decided to network the two, using this machine for storing/archiving my 61,000+ digital photography files and use the new, and probably last machine, for day in day out work and home/family communications.

What first, besides updating the XpPro program on the old HD??

2. doggard

doggard

3. KHolloman

KHolloman

Im confused. Is the HD 40 Gig or 280 Gig?

4. EdGreene

Two machines, the old machine has 280GIG (now), the new will have 40 (from the take out of the 40 from the old machine) as here:

And here:
    And yes, the old machine is a dual hard drive (80/200), dual boot (XP/XP) machine. The 40 (take out HD) also has XP. See?

5. EdGreene

Didn't explain that just right:
    The Motherboard & Processor are already installed in the case. It has never had an OS installed.
    I'll install 1GIG of PC2700/333 memory when the board gets here.

The article is very helpful, (I copied it), but it speaks to installing a new Motherboard, not installing a Hard Drive with a OS already installed in a new barebones case. That's why I'm stuck.

Unless I buy a new Hard Drive and go from there.

What say you?

6. doggard

doggard

If the OS,XP in this case is already installed on the drive then the article shows you how to repair the OS so that it will run on the new motherboard and associated hardware.If however you wish to do a fresh install just boot from the XP CD and use the partition and format part of the installation routine to prepare the drive for a new install i.e. format over the previous data.

7. KHolloman

KHolloman

I have never had a problem switching HD from previous cases to others at work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!