1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Belkin Router - No Outgoing Email

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wr7777, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wr7777

wr7777 Thread Starter

I installed a Belkin F9K1124 router yesterday and everything works well except that I cannot send emails from my computer email client (incoming emails are OK), with my computer connected to the router. I get various messages referencing the SMTP server, the email address, the password, etc.

I've spoken with Spectrum support and with Belkin support and neither says they are responsible. The SMTP server settings are correct and I took the router out of the configuration and the sending worked OK. I did a search and didn't see anything to help.

Any ideas on how to correct?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Can you share these messages in the thread, please? This may help shed some light on the situation. Also, which email client are you using on the PC?

Port 587 is used for sending email; therefore, I think the router must be blocking that port - especially if it works okay with the router taken out of the equation.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    But not always. For example smtp.gmail.com and smtp.aol.com use port 465 (at least, that's the setting I'm using). This doesn't change your thinking, just that there are at least two ports to consider.

lochlomonder likes this.
  4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Good point, Terry.

5. wr7777

wr7777 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I turned the router's firewall off, no change.

I just tried to send; the first box asks me to enter the password, which I did correctly. After quite a while, I get another box headed by "Send Message Error", with this:
    Sending of the message failed.
    The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com timed out. Try again.

Pressing Enter exits the errors and goes back to the compose screen.

I'm using SeaMonkey, which is very similar to Thunderbird.

With Belkin's support staff (many calls) I tried a bunch of modifications (port forwarding, clone MAC address, etc.), all without success. As I previously noted, without the router the outgoing emails work OK.

Belkin finally said they'd replace the router, then said they didn't have any in stock to send me, they called back and offered three options. I'm going to speak with them again on Monday and decide what to do.

My ISP (Spectrum) says I shouldn't have to do any configuring on the router for it to work properly.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do the following for a connection without the router and again for a connection with the router. If the outputs are the same (except for the first lines) we've learned nothing more. If they are different (I expect that the one with the router will not find the destination) then it probably means that you are being assigned different Default Gateways depending on what device is connected to the modem. And the ISP has a routing error with the relevant Default Gateway. Sometimes those errors may be mysteriously fixed within a few days and sometimes you need to convince somebody (seldom the entry-level folks who answer the phones) at the ISP that they have a problem to be fixed.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
    (In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

tracert smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com

[Press ENTER after the command.]

If you want our help with interpreting the results then:

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

Just for comparison I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Terry>tracert smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com

Tracing route to cdptpa-pub-oedge-vip.email.rr.com [107.14.166.72]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 20 ms 8 ms 19 ms 173-18-32-1.client.mchsi.com [173.18.32.1]
    3 246 ms 16 ms 14 ms 172.30.9.165
    4 18 ms 16 ms 19 ms 68-66-73-70.client.mchsi.com [68.66.73.70]
    5 16 ms 17 ms 21 ms po10.chgil001er1.mchsi.com [68.66.73.122]
    6 151 ms 21 ms 14 ms be-123-pe01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [50.
    248.118.9]
    7 16 ms 19 ms 19 ms as7843.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [75.149.2
    30.70]
    8 233 ms 37 ms 230 ms bu-ether29.chcgildt87w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [107.1
    4.17.195]
    9 34 ms 30 ms 30 ms bu-ether5.cdptpabb02w-bar03.tbone.rr.com [66.109
    .1.175]
    10 121 ms 38 ms 237 ms bu-ether2.cdptpa-core-1n1-asr2.tbone.rr.com [66.
    109.1.169]
    11 33 ms 29 ms 41 ms 75.180.131.235
    12 36 ms 34 ms 35 ms 75.180.131.161
    13 232 ms 26 ms 30 ms cdptpa-pub-oedge-vip.email.rr.com [107.14.166.72
    ]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Terry>

192.168.2.1 is the LAN address of my router (and the Default Gateway assigned to my computer). 173.18.32.1 is the Default Gateway assigned by my ISP to the WAN section of my router.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to check the DNS server that the new router has or is handing out to clients. It's possible the mail servers IP isn't being resolved correctly.

Ping the server while connected to the router and then without it and compare the results.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good point, Rob. Note that the tracert will also show the IP being returned (107.14.166.72 in my test above).

9. wr7777

wr7777 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

The tracert command results in 'Request timed out' for all 30 hops, yet, even while it was responding with this I did successfully send an email message (without the router in the configuration). The router is packed up ready to be returned so I cannot test it.

Since Belkin has given up in trying to solve this, I'm now looking for another comparable router. Any suggestions as to brand and model, and source? Since my Internet speed is up to 100MBS, I'm thinking something with a 300MBS minimum would allow for growth. I also don't plan on using wireless, but that may change.

Thanks again for any input.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

I don't understand why the tracert (without the router) results in timeouts, but it doesn't matter since the mail sending is working.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are buying a new router I wouldn't look at any 300 Mbps routers since those would be the older Wireless-N models. Wireless-AC is the current standard. Any of the non cheap D-Link, Asus, Netgear, or TP-Link routers should be fine unless you have additional requirements.

You're not using any sort or proxy or VPN software are you?

12. wr7777

wr7777 Thread Starter

On the new router, I'm leaning toward a dual band, probably a LinkSys or D-Link. Even though I don't need wireless, it should allow much room for growth. I haven't found any non-wireless routers for a reasonable price, anyone know of one?

No proxy or VPN being used.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I haven't seen a home router without wireless in a long time, you might just need to get one and disable it. You don't have any wireless devices at all? Cell phones, tablets, TV's, laptops, Chromecast? Or people that come over with mobile devices? Business routers are available without wireless but cost way more than a cheap wireless home router. You can pretty much get any router if wireless isn't important TP Link has cheap but decent models, the Archer C20 is under $50.

14. wr7777

wr7777 Thread Starter

I returned the Belkin router and got a LinkSys EA6400 router as replacement, thinking that LinkSys would be a better choice. No such luck!

I have the same issues with this router as with the other one: everything seems OK except for not being able to send emails from my desktop computer. Without the router, no problem.

As before, no help from Spectrum (my ISP); and LinkSys, while trying to help, doesn't know how to solve either, at least at the first level of support.

I use SeaMonkey Portable for browsing and email under Windows 7 Ultimate. I can't believe this can be so difficult to solve.

Any ideas?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post your exact settings you are using for the email?

You can also go to Help > Troubleshooting Information and copy and paste that information.

Did you check your computer for a VPN or Proxy software?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice