1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Belkin Switch2 usb problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timadams, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timadams

Timadams Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Does anyone have experience with the Belkin Switch2 device - I think it is called a Belkin Flip in the U.S. ? It is a device that lets you plug one mouse, and one keyboard (both usb) and one monitor (vga) into two computers. You can then flip control from one machine to the other at the touch of a button.

I have a home PC running Windows XP home edition and an ATI Radeon graphics card driving an iiyama monitor via the ATI Catalyst control software settings. My seconf machine is my employer's laptop - a brand new Dell Inspiron running Windows XP professional.

The Belkin unit is brand new and is working fine on both the PC and the laptop - especially the laptop (no problems at all) once I go through a strange rutual at start up of the home PC which totally defeats the object of being able to automatically switch control to the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

The issue is that everytime I boot the PC (XP home edition) from cold (not a warm reboot which works okay), XP starts up and gets to the "click here to login" stage and shuts down instantly without any reason given. It just says "Windows is shutting down". To get around the problem, I have to disconnect the Belkin from the VGA input socket and plug the monitor into the PC vga socket directly and do a reboot. This starts up perfectly without problem. Then if I unplug the monitor from the vga and plug it into the Belkin (and plug the Belkin into the PC vga socket) everything works great and I can switch between laptop and PC.

I assume that Windows XP home edition (or perhaps the ATI Catalyst control software) is unhappy on startup as it perhaps thinks the monitor is not plugged in or such like and this is why it decides to shut down. However, if this is the reason it is strange because the monitor does appear to be working through the Belkin even though something is causing the restart. I can watch all this happening on the monitor....

Any ideas guys or any experience of this type of problem with this unit?

Thanks

Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice