1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Blank Email at Every Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by secapoc, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. secapoc

secapoc Thread Starter

Hi,

Every time I boot my computer (HP/Compaq Presario Windows XP), a new blank email pops up automatically. I have tried unmarking the "make default email" box in both Firefox and MS Outlook, but it doesn't help. They are automatically re-marking themselves as the default email.

Somewhere on the web, I saw a suggestion that some other application is starting the email, but I can't find that application.

Any suggetions, folks? Thanks in advance!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Have you tried using IE and if so does it happen in IE too..

Does this only popup on startup?

3. secapoc

secapoc Thread Starter

Hi Bonk,

Beg your pardon, but I don't understand your question.

When you ask if I have tried using Internet Explorer, I'm confused. What's happening is that I'm getting a new blank email popping up as soon as I boot, as if I had hit the button in my email program to write a new email.

Since this is happening before I have opened a browser, or any other application, I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest I try IE. IE being a browser and my problem being an unbidden new email, I'm confused. Excuse my ignorance.

And, yes, this is only happening on startup.

Thanks for thinking about this, Bonk!

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood.....

Go Start>>Run type msconfig click OK

Then in the new window click on the Startup tab

Check there and uncheck it to stop it on startup

But be careful what you uncheck as it might be needed.

5. secapoc

secapoc Thread Starter

Thanks, bonk!

I ran msconfig and looked at all the programs in the startup. Nothing looked obvious to me, so, for safety, I searched each one on the web before I un-checked it, and then, after researching five or six different programs, I finally unchecked my "Key Text" application (a keyboard macro program I imagine you're familiar with).

That solved the problemo!

I realize this is a very small problem to have, but it's been more and more irritating as time goes by.

Thank you for your help!

secapoc

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!