1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Build - a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwconrad, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwconrad

cwconrad Thread Starter

Hello,
    Couple questions.
    I just built a new PC. Specs are:
    Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition
    4200+ Dual Core processor AM2 slot
    2 gig cosair xms ram DDR2 (800) (dual channel sticks 2x1gig)
    7600 GT OC Nvidia card
    450Watt Power supply

I have two monitors running. One is wide screen with a max resolution of 1366x768 (an LCD TV)...the other is a standard CRT with 1600x1200.

My question is this. I have my processor over clocked slightly (running from 2.4 to 2.6 ghz with multiplier of 11)

Every now and then when I reboot my PC i get tiny little boxes all over my display or tiny little lines that completely scramble the screen.

Is this a video card issue or is it something happening because an unstable system from over clocking my processor? Or even yet, is it a possible ram issue? Or is it maybe a power supply issue (450watt)?

I disabled my dual support and every now and then it still happened. I would just continue to hit reset and it would work itself out.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

ALSO: I am doing some gaming (playing a new MMO)...does Dual monitor mode drain some of the video cards power? I would like to maximize how smooth the game runs. Will disabling dual monitor support and unplugging my second monitor free up some power and speed up my games? Silly question, but I have no clue .

Thanks in advance for help on both questions.
    Craig

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

Your video issues are most likely being caused by the overclocked processor, maybe not directly, but it's most like part of the issue. For example, the extra strain on the processor is going to put an extra strain on the power supply, and 450W really isn't enough for the load you're pushing. 450W doesn't make for a weak power supply, it just isn't enough to adequately run your components.

I would first reset your multiplier to the stock or default level and then test it out a few times. Obviously, if this resolves the bars, lines, and blocks, your issue was directly caused by the instability generated by the processor. If the problem recovers slightly, but still persists, you'll want to look into the other components (we can get to that if it's necessary).

As far as your monitor concerns go, using a dual monitor setup will only affect your frame rates and performance if you play the game at the full resolution allowed by the combined monitors. If you are simply playing with the secondary displaying a clone, there would be little to no effect on the performance. A large number of popular games don't offer multi-monitor support and only output the video to the primary monitor with default monitor settings. There are a select number of games (Microsoft Flight Simulator for example) that allow explicit multi-monitor output. For these games, however, you would need a video card that can output at the full resolution (very high width), otherwise you would see a loss of performance.

3. cwconrad

cwconrad Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! I am only running the game on one monitor...
    the monitor that I'm running it on is in 1366x768 which is the max resolution for that monitor. My other CRT monitor is at 1280x1024 and is not even close to it's max resolution.
    so with this setup, I should be fine right?

I will set my bios to default to find out if that fixes the problem with the boxes and lines permenently. If it does, I'll go out and buy a more powerful power supply and then OC it again! ....I love to push the envalope hehe.

4. thechanmane

thechanmane

With your video card and processor combination, you shouldn't have any trouble playing most games. You will get excellent frame rates if you use modest quality settings. You shouldn't have any problem with frame rates at higher quality, but that is an awfully large resolution to fill and you will notice a decrease in performance if you play at max resolution. Don't let this discourage you, however. Hope this helps ease your concerns and answer your questions; reply back with any more questions or concerns!

5. cwconrad

cwconrad Thread Starter

Hello
    are you referring to the decrease in performance if using max resolution of the video card max resolution of the monitor or max resolution of the game?
    The max resolution of the monitor is 1366x768, the max resolution of the game is 1600x1200 and the max resolution of the video card goes way way up to something silly that i would never use.

I have it set at 1366x768 which is actually a lower resolution than 1200x1024 (standard CRT monitor resolution for games) correct?

6. thechanmane

thechanmane

That is correct, 1366x768 has less pixel area than 1280x1024. What i am referring to is using the max resolution the game offers. Since your monitor displays less area than a "standard" 1280x1024 monitor, you shouldn't have any problem playing most games with high quality settings at the full resolution of your monitor. There are always other factors that affect gameplay on a computer, but you should be able to play the games you want when you want with the quality settings you prefer. I'm sure you will find a nice mix of settings that look great and play great, but for most situations, you should be able to set the quality to high and play.

7. randyhood

randyhood

I'm having the same problem with my new machine, without any overclockin. Everything ran beautifully for 5 days, but all of a sudden, it randomly started scrambling the screen. It got worse in the next few minutes, then Vista crashed. However, the same scrambling continued, even in BIOS setup, or anything displayed on the screen. I'm also suspicious of my 450W power supply, which came installed with my Xion II style case from NCIX. I did order a nice Mushkin HP-550, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I decided to risk it. I guess I'll let u guys know it that solves the problem.

8. randyhood

randyhood

btw, here are my specs

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    AMD 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core 2.0GHz Processor (M2N-E socket)
    1024MB Mushkin Enhanced Dual Channel Memory
    BFG Geforce 7600 GT OC 256MB video card

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice