1. Is this all I will need:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste
Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card
Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

(note - I have 2 intel i7 PCs with the 1030 video and seems sufficient, just occasional game play)

2. USBs the case has 2 usbs in the front (top) but I noticed the motherboard only shows one usb in the front.
Is something else required ?

3. the Ryzen has its own cooler, is it sufficient or should another be used, if so recommendation ?

My 2 cents worth.
If you do any kind of gaming....invest in a EVGA 2060 or preferably a 2070. Your PSU choice is a entry level....you need at least the RM Gold series or better. Looking at the mobo manual....I see there are 2 USB headers. So your case front panel connections should be fine. As for the Wraith Prism Cooler....Yes. Unless you plan on doing any OC'ing, that should be fine as well.

Other than those 2 changes....you have a solid build.

bobbee

Video - I don't play any heavy duty games, and rarely any at all. I just want a 2560x1440 res for videos and photo editing. So the 2 pcs I have with the 1030 seem fine.
I have the Corsair CXM 550 now and it seems satisfactory. To go to the rm golds is another $60 or so, is it worth it ?

crjdriver

If you are just going to run a basic video card, then a CX type pw supply is OK. If you intend on installing a gaming card in the future, then get a better pw supply.
The rest of the parts look ok. The cooler that comes with a 3700X is pretty good. As long as you do not intend on overclocking, the stock cooler is fine.

Last edited:

bobbee

I changed my configuration, better motherboard and power supply.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste
**** Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card
Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case
**** be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650 W 80+ Platinum

bobbee

The new motherboards offer an extra 4 pin connector that could be needed in some cases, but many of the power supplies don't offer it. This be quiet has it. The evga's that have it seem to be sold out every where.

I am a non to light game player, the 1060 wouls add over $100 to the build.

It seems as though that is the weak spot in this configuration.

The evga's that have it seem to be sold out every where.
With Covid-19. it's like that for just about every website that sells PC parts. That is for all the high end (good) hardware.

The 1030 2gb should be fine for every day use and video playback. But, I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it with the extra GPU powere.....you know what I mean.

bobbee

Most of the pc cases seem to be limited to 2, 3 1/2 hard drives, I need 3.
Also, not critical, but a card reader or a front slot to add one would be nice.
RGB is also nice

Going through the details of many cases, it is hard to find the above, so far I have only found 2 (less the card reader)
Lian Li LANCOOL II Mid-Tower
Phantek Eclipse P400s

I guess card readers should be set aside with my floppies and betamax tapes.

Are they any other decent reasonably priced cases that will accomodate 3 - 31/2 hd and rgb ?

crjdriver

My antec P101 case came with a hard drive cage that had about 10 slots for hard drives. I had to pull the cage to install water cooling however if you need a LOT of drives, you might want to checkout that case.
Note this case is quite heavy and uses sound deadening material so it is just about silent. It does weigh approx 25lbs.
BTW no RGB and no windows since I am not a fan of stuff like that however a nice case with room for a LOT of drives.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't mention which motherboard you have.
Make sure it has sufficient SATA ports for your needs.

-------------------------------------------------

bobbee

You didn't mention which motherboard you have.
Make sure it has sufficient SATA ports for your needs.

-------------------------------------------------
The standard 6 is ok.

Most of the cases now don't have the external bays for cd/dvd and card readers. I have been scanning them all morning. It seems like the corsair 450D is one of the few.

crjdriver

A lot of cases have a 5 1/4 bay. In fact the one I listed has a single 5 1/4 bay.
If you use a front mounted radiator, you may have to pull the 5 1/4 bay.

bobbee

Is anyone familiar with the diypc vanguard-V6-RGB case. I haven't seen any reviews on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online