1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build constantly freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VHayward, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Built what I thought was a dream rig but it's a nightmare and freezes at any point from welcome screen to an hour in but it will freeze at some point any time I start it. Thought it was bad RAM or I5 RAM in an AMD build (given by mistake) but apparently not according to tech people, Corsair themselves and Memtest. The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda but a chkdsk on it was fine. Temp is fine (30's) and system in 40's. AMD 1090T, Gigabyte GA-790XTA--UD4 motherboard, OCZ PSU (700W), GEForce 9800GTX, Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 Core I5 (Corsair said the only difference is an AMD runs it at 1333) and an Noctua Heatsink which I only mention because it now blocks the RAM .Hoping it's the video Card or PSU as all the other wiring is hidden out of sight under the MB and elsewhere. Worked fine before, sorry I ever touched it, Windows 7 which ran on the other computer for months, Thankyou

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see one thing right off
    If this is an existing install that you tried to swap mb, and other hardware, it is almost guaranteed to fail.

Next post ALL of your parts with links to the parts ie mb, ram, cpu, pw supply, video card, etc, etc.

3. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

4. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Looks like a tech moved the Ram when I had the Heatsink installed. He said it was in the wrong slots and moved it. I put it back and trying to get the computer to freeze but can't. We'll see but seems that was it.

5. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Thought it was solved but apparently not. Moving the RAM slowed the freezing to once or twice a day. It seems very random, sometimes updating my AV, sometimes under load and sometimes no matter how much I load, it won't freeze. The error message at Event viewer shows Lanman service not installed and sometimes a popup states "out of memory at Line 1", doesn't seem to cause any issues though whatever it means. May mean nothing but updating the driver for my video card seemed to cause more freezes and the driver was uninstalled.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you clean install windows OR go through a detailed procedure, swapping mb without a clean install is just asking for a problem. The reason is that proprietary chipset drivers were probably installed with your old install; unless you go through a detailed procedure [outlined at the top of the forum] you WILL have problems.

In short you need to clean install windows then start the troubleshooting of your new parts. With multiple variables in the problem, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to solve.

7. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, this is a clean install. Chkdsk and Memtest were fine and all4 G of RAM is recognized in My Computer though I think 32 Bit only utilizes 3.25-3.5 G. Still leaning to it though.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What bios are you running? Have you updated to the latest bios?
    Next that memory needs 1.65V to run correctly. Have you set the correct vdimm [ram voltage] in the bios?

9. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

The bios was not touched except for boot order and putting it back makes no difference. Not sure on version and voltage, right now I'm encoding a couple of movies and will check when it finishes or freezes. It's running fine so far under a heavy load but yesterday the same thing caused it to freeze. Never updated a bios, isn't that a good way to fry your MB if there's a power outage, etc?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you need the latest bios to run the 6 core cpu, you have little choice in the matter. Yes, a bios update does entail a degree of risk however in this case, you need the correct bios IF you expect the system to run correctly. At least you have the gigabyte dual bios on your board.

To find out what bios is installed, hit the TAB key when you see the gigabyte splash screen. This will show you post data AND it should show the bios version.

11. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Ok, hitting tab did nothing even though the Logo screen says it should too but according to Gigabyte the only revision is 1.0 and that is also stamped on the MB. The RAM voltage is set to 1.5 automatically and setting it to manual only allows it to be set to a max of 1.545 which I have done. Gigabyte also does not show it as supported memory which may not mean anything but the tech putting it into slots 1 & 2 where the manual shows it belongs and slowing the freezing to a couple of times a day if it is in slots 1 & 3 does By the way, a load of 75% for an hour or watching a 2 hour movie did not freeze the compute but a download of probably less than 1 MB has .EDIT: New issue today, random rebooting and the voltage set to 1.545 doesn't cut it.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The voltage should go higher than 1.545V; read your manual as to the bios menus. Each bios AND each bios version is different so giving you detailed instructions without the system in front of me is impossible.

What you refer to as revision 1 is the pcb or mb ver NOT the bios version. You need the latest bios [F3] I believe to use the 6 core cpu. Attempting to run that cpu without the correct bios version is just asking for problems.

The tab should work if you hit it at the correct time or just go into the bios and disable the splash screen. With the splash screen disabled, it will show post data. In any case you need to find out what bios you have installed and if need be, flash to the F3 update.

13. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

My mistake, thankyou for your help, much appreciated. The voltage can be set higher, didn't scroll far enough. The tab button does open the post screen by tapping it, I figured I was missing it and just held the tab bar down. However, the post screen flashes by so quickly and my eyes are so poor that I didn't really notice anything. But System Information in Command Prompt shows the bios version as F3G. Voltage is showing as 1.6 V in the bios so thankyou again. Completed processing on a video which has frozen the computer 5 times today so that's a vast improvement, funny how a 1 pass program causes more stress on a system than a 2 pass.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad to hear it is working now however I would still find out what bios you have. When new cpus are released, there are often a number of updates to fix any given issue that may pop up.

If you hit the "Pause" key during the post, it will stop the boot process and let you read whatever you want from the screen. When done, hit any key to continue the boot/post.

15. VHayward

VHayward Thread Starter

Thanks again, I could never have figured this out. So far, so good today. The bios version is F3g. One more question, apparently this RAM runs at 1333 Mhz on an AMD but should be at 1600 Mhz on an Intel. If it is functioning ok now, I'm not inclined to use any other so what difference is there between the two rates? EDIT: Googled it, appears as if it can get quite complicated, thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice