1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HEartview, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

I just got done building my computer that i have been trying to get around to building for months now :rolleyes:
    but ive been having some strange, (and bad) problems with it.

First, specs:
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black edition 3.2Ghz
    4GB G.Skill 240 Pin DDR3 1600
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GBGDDR3 Memory
    1 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda 500GB
    Windows XP Home edition SP2 (getting SP3 as soon as I can)

Second, Problems (in order of annoyance, severity)

Every now and then, it seems when the computer comes under load, or is doing something of slight power demand, the computer shuts off (No BSOD) and restarts, and MOST of the time it will sit there giving me a series of long beeps. Which according to the motherboard manual, means the Graphics card isnt seated right. Which makes no sense, seeing as how it was working fine a few minutes before. And the only way to fix it is to turn the computer off all the way, wait till the fans on top of the case stop spinning, then turn it back on. Voila. I tried adjusting the screws on the case, which has helped a little, but it did it again a few minutes ago while playing CoD4. So I doubt it would be the card isnt seated right, but I will try to move it around a little more, seeing as how it is a very big card, and has a probability to move up and down. The times it doesnt sit there beeping, it will start up, show my hardware, then instead of verifying DMI, it sits there. A manual restart is required. It only seems to do it when it needs my card to do something, so i might be inclined to think faulty card. But it plays Bioshock 1, and 2, Assassins' Creed, CoD WaW all on max graphics, fine for certain periods of time. But every now and then...

That was the main problem im having right now, but here are some others.

I poked around on the internet and found that this really isnt a problem, just a strange quirk, but every time I start my computer up, it says: "Verifying DMI pool data. AMD data change... Update data to DMI" It doesnt seem to be hurting anything, but if there is a way to fix it, it would seem helpful to me.

The graphics card seems to run a little hot, but it doesnt seem to heat up much during load. Right now its at 52 Degrees, but after playing Bioshock all day yesterday, it was only at 57 degrees. Our ac is broken here though, and its hot as mess outside, but it shouldnt be enough to effect my computer (it broke 90 Degrees F im my room yesterday) Its not causing problems but opposed to my old 8600GTS that ran at 40-50 Degrees even under load, it seems a little warm.

The CPU cooler that came with the CPU is insanely loud. I have a Tempest EVO, and the other 6 fans on the case combined dont make as much noise as the CPU cooler does. I ordered another yesterday, and ill see if that helps. The CPU isnt overheating btw, its just the cooler.

So I think thats it for now, The main problem being the strange restarts that seem to stem from the GFX card. Its an XFX card, so I was extremely sketchy about buying it, but it was $200 cheaper than the Sapphire one i was going to get, and my budget was getting cut a little short. So if it the drivers after all, who know the best ones to get?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It sound like a possible Power Supply problem. Problem Power Supplies can cause all sorts of symptoms. Please list the Manufacturer and model of your Power Supply in cluding the Amperage on the +12Vdc rail(s).

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That update to dmi seems to be a problem with the gigabyte boards; I have one and it does the same thing. As far as I can tell, it does not cause any problems. I have only seen this issue when you have some setting in the bios overclocked ie fsb, nb multiplier, cpu multiplier, etc. If all settings are on "Auto" I never see the problem.

As to your other problems, I tend to agree you most likely have a pw supply issue. Post the exact pw supply you installed and [if possible] a link to that pw supply.
    Another possibility is that the system is overheating. The stock cpu cooler is not all that loud unless it is running at full speed; then it gets pretty loud. If you have smartfan enabled in the bios AND it is noisy, then I would think it is overheating.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The DMI Update has been fixed by some but not everyone by doing a BIOS update to the latest version.

I'll side with the rest about a possible power supply issue.

Also what are your CPU temps?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would be nice if they fixed my board with a bios update however I do not really see any problem with updating dmi, it is just annoying.

6. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013
    Thats the exact PSU I ordered. I dont know the exact specifics of it, but newegg should have it.

As of right now, The computer just did it again, but this time, i had to unplug the computer, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in for it to work. I was playing CoD4 a minute before that, and according to SpeedFan, all my temps are below 50 degrees, except for 1, which actually is at 50 degrees.

Temp1 :46
    Temp2: 49
    Tep3: 48
    HD0: 35
    Core: 49 (dropped down as i was typing this.)

I have no idea what all those are, as SpeedFan doesnt really say. but I could post a screenshot of the 'Exotics' Tab, seeing as how it has more, and more understandable, info on it.

And yes, Cool'n'Quiet is enables, but the thing sounds like a helicopter. Im hoping the one I ordered will be a little quieter.

But on a side note, after typing from the Speedfan number, to here, and spell checking, the Core temp has jumped up to 51-53 degrees.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your temps seem to be OK and that is a high quality pw supply so here is what I would do;
    1 Download memtest and make the bootable CD from the iso file
    2 Restart the computer and run memtest for at least 1~2hr and see if you have any errors

When I check the specs on the geil ram, it shows a vdimm [ram voltage] of 1.65V or so. Your board should default to 1.5V. Have you set the correct vdimm in the bios?

Since this is a gigabyte board, why not load easytune6 and use that to check your temps and voltages?

8. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

I wouldnt know how to set a vdimm. :p
    This is the first computer ive built, so i dont know much about tuning the BIOS settings.

And I dont know what memtest is, but ill give it a try. I dont have and iso programs right now, but I downloaded the binary file instead. I just run it and wait?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have a cd or dvd burner in your system, download the iso file. Use a burning app to create the bootable disk. A very good free burning app is CDBurnerxp It is very easy to use. There are free burning apps that do more like imgburn however they are not as easy to use.

Once done with the bootable cd, restart the system and enter the bios. Set the CD as the first bootable device; save settings and restart with the bootable CD in the drive.

As to memory voltage, read your manual as to bios settings.

10. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

Well I tried playing Bioshock again, and the computer cuts itself off, but this time, it was making a TON of noise, and wouldnt cut back on at all. I took the CPU out, and it was kinda stuck to the heatsink. I dunno if thats normal or not, but I know the CPU or heatsink didnt come with any thermal paste. There was a little gray square on the bottom of the heatsink, but it didnt seem very big or sufficient. Im hoping that heatsink comes in soon, because the problem sees to be shifting away from the GPU now.

I went back and looked at my RAM that I bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
    the voltage says 1.5, so I dunno if we were looking at the same pair. >.>

Im actually kinda worried as to my system health now. It looks like for now I can only use it for small amounts of time. At least under load (or anything even slightly demanding) because it was on all last night, doing nothing.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THat Gray square is the factory Thermal Pad (same purpose as Thermal Paste.). When cold it can be more difficult to separate the heat sink from the CPU with the Thermal Pad. Allowing the CPU to warm up usually makes it easier.

12. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

Well, after assuming that it was the CPU overheating, I went and turned on the energy saver program that came along with the drivers. It lowers CPU voltage while not under load, and it has immensely helped. It was idling at around 50 degrees before, but now its hovering around 39-40 degrees. The only problem is, it has a noticeable FPS drop while playing games. An actual game hindering one too.
    So im going to wait until my new cooler comes in, turn off energy saver, and see how that works.
    Ill post back after I see what happens.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What hsf did you order? I have had very good luck with arctic freezer type coolers. I use one on my overclocked 940 and it seldom gets above 55C even under a 100% load running prime95.

14. HEartview

HEartview Thread Starter

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice