1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build, no boot or bios screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jozhogg, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently ordered a number of parts for a new computer. After having assembled the computer and connected everything, the computer worked. It gave out a display, the bios worked and I was able to go into the bios setup. I then inserted my windows xp install disc and began formatting a new partition on the hard drive. I left the computer formatting and the last I saw it was at around 30%. After I came back in about half an hour I found that there was no display and the computer was off. I tried a reboot but there was no display at all. All fans were on full settings including the cpu fan. I have tried reconnecting all components and connections. With no HDD connected the computer turns on for about 3 seconds then cuts the power. I have tried a different hard drive and it behaved in exactly the same way as with my new drive. I have no idea... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joseph

Spec: AMD Phenom ii X2 555 BE
    Kingston hyper-x 2x2gb 1600mhz
    Gigabyte GA-M52LT-D3
    XFX 4870 1gb
    Corsair tx650
    western digital caviar blue 500gb

2. olryst

olryst

Have you tried unpluging it, waiting for the motherboard light to go off then plug it back in and try turning it on.

Reseting bios with motherboard jumper/battery.

Anything metal shorting it out inside case?

Do you have another PSU you could try?

3. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

Firstly, apologies for my somewhat limited knowledge of computers, I'll try and keep up.

I'm not aware of any light anywhere on the motherboard

I am unsure as to how I would reset the bios

I have checked everywhere for shorts and cannot spot any

I only have one power supply but it is brand new and quite expensive so I would expect that would be unlikely to be the cause of the problem?

4. olryst

olryst

Ok just unplug and wait a couple of mins.

Would tell you how to reset bios (clear cmos) in mother board manuel.

There should be a jumper next to the battery with 3 pins.

You move the jumper so its on the other two pins, wait a few mins, then move it back.

A metal screw or bare wire can short it.

Double check CPU heatsink is on properly and lever is pushed all the way.

5. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

The first thing I tried was, as you said, to just unplug and wait. It seems to be behaving exactly as it was before. I find this very confusing, though, as I tried unplugging and waiting before after about 10 minutes from it not working and there was no change. Why would it have started working? Could there still be a problem?

6. olryst

olryst

just a long shot, power cycling.

7. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

what's power cycling? Could it be a reoccuring problem?

8. olryst

olryst

nah, just forget about it, it just means turning it off and on basically.

9. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

Ok, thankyou very much for the help.

10. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

Hi,

I've reopened this thread as many more problems I cannot understand have occured with my new system. It seems that the computer was booting fine without a disc drive connected. I assumed that maybe it was the IDE causing a problem so I used a SATA disc drive instead. This caused the same problem as I described before. Also, when there is no disc drive. Every roughly one out of three times I attmept to boot the pc turns on for about 3 seconds then the power cuts. Any ideas???

11. Megabite

Megabite

I would consult the motherboard manual and re do all the connections again........first as a test take all the memory out and restart the PC and see the results

12. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

I have already reconnected every connection, tried without any RAM and checked for shorts earlier this evening with no luck. What is confusing is that the system was stable and installing windows. I cannot understand what could have happened to cause these problems?

13. Megabite

Megabite

How is the Cd drive hooked up to the motherboard?

14. Jozhogg

Jozhogg Thread Starter

Well, I had an IDE disc drive attached by IDE lead to the board with a 4 pin power. When this didn't work I tried the sata which is connected directly with a sata lead and sata power. Both caused practically the same problem

15. Megabite

Megabite

As it did work OK at first it could be something has failed.....are all the fans spinning?

If you remove the Cd drive and take the All the memory out and start the PC , what happens?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974488