1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Build - No Video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoganR2012, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoganR2012

LoganR2012 Thread Starter

I just opened my new parts for Christmas and installed them into my case. The fans move, but there is no video. I've checked all of my connections and they are all fine. I've tried removing the video card and running it. I've tried using my old PSU, however I don't think that it had a high enough wattage as it just started the fans and then stopped almost immediately. I tried this with and without the video card. I have switched RAM between the 2x2GB and 1x8GB sticks and tried both slots. I do not have a speaker for the motherboard and one did not come with it, so I can't tell if there's a problem with beeping.

PSU: APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V
    Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX AM3+ AMD 760G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD
    RAM: I've tried both the old 2x2GB sticks I had as well as a Corsair 8GB stick
    CPU: AMD FX 8150 8-core. Stock Heatsink
    Video: EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-Bit
    HDD: From my old computer, already has Windows 7. Seagate 750GB

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you cant do that - it will have different chipset drivers , unless it happens to be an identical motherboard - and depending on the version of w7 maybe tied to the motherboard - is w7 a full retail version ?

is this ram compatible with the new board

the spec here http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3653-KR says 400w PSU and 110W in use - so your 700W should be OK- but others may help

the thing to do is take it out the case it maybe shorting out

build it on the table - make sure its NOT on a conductive surface at all - maybe use the box
    connect the motherboard, psu, video, monitor, ram and cpu - and see if that now at least starts to a point where you can get into the bios

be very careful - you can get a shock and even low voltage can be fatal - so take extra care

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all have you read and followed ALL steps in the guide at the top of the page for problem builds? If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next issue; your pw supply. That is a low end ie what I call a junk pw supply. Good and recommended brands; corsair [not builder series] seasonic, pcpower&cooling, or FSP. For a basic build ie not gaming, antec is ok as well.

Next thing I see is the hd with windows installed. You cannot move a windows install from one mb to another and expect it to work. Not going to happen unless you follow a procedure outlined at the top of the page for moving an install or swapping mb. This is not causing the no post condition however even when you get the system to post, it is not going to boot windows.

I do not see a case listed. You are not attempting to use a dell, hp, or other big box case are you?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice