1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build not as fast as I would like

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parasolution, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parasolution

parasolution Thread Starter

I built a new rig to replace my P4 3.0ghz. I purchased a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 board and got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2 dual core processor from a friend. I added a Sapphire X1650 Pro card, added 4GB or Corsair XMS2 DD2 PC8500 memory and then used the rest of my equipment from the P4 (Creative Audigy 2 sound card, LG DVD sata, & USB card). Installation of Vista Home Premium 32 bit went easy enough.

The system seems a little quicker than my trusty old P4, but I seem to get these strange lags. For example, start-up seems a little slower than my P4 and when I have iTunes running, the songs will lag/skip when I'm typing. I just built a new HTPC with an older Athlon 64 3800 dual core (socket 939) and that system seems to be quicker than this one and iTunes doesn't lag.

I've kept everything in BIOS in Auto, I haven't tweaked any of the processor settings. Should I get a better processor since this processor is at the bottom of the barrel when compared to other AMD dual cores. Is a triple core or quad core worth it. The new board supports up to AM3 processors.

2. Jones

Jones

Well, yeah a newer processor would definitely give it more 'oomph'. But there are other things you can do to improve the responsiveness of your system.

For example, one thing I would do is turn of disk indexing. Unless you really need super-fast file searching, it's just going to slow down your system.

Also, here's a good article on Vista, and how to tweak it to suit your needs:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice