Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New build "Nvidia Media Test Boot Failure. Check Cable."

Solved 
434 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mconnelly 
#1 ·
Im using an XFX 790i Ultra SLI mobo. I completed the build and attempted to install Windows 10. It went through about 3 pages of what looked like command prompts and then said that there is an "Nvidia Media Test Boot Failure. Check Cable." I then powered the PC down with the power button. Now, I can't get the power back on.

First of all...which cable?

Second, why won't it turn back on?

I am grateful for any bit of help.

#2 ·
I can't find any reference to that exact error. Similar messages appear to be boot order related, but if the system won't power on, you can't get into the BIOS to verify.

As to the power on issue, I'd say there was a hardware failure of some sort (which could have caused the error message above). Pull it apart and verify everything is connected properly.

Powering up only requires the motherboard and power supply. So based strictly on what information has been provided so far, one of those two would be the likely cause.

There is a troubleshooting guide here: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

#3 ·
Well I possibly located the cable issue. The SATA data cable to the DVD drive was disconnected. The 4 pin power connector is a bit of a challenge to get seated but the drive did turn on when I initially started the PC so I think it was connected properly. I connected the data cable but the machine still wont turn on. Im tearing it apart now to reconnect everything. Ill let you know. Thanks.

#4 ·
I am going to assume that your board is used since that motherboard is now many, many years old. Are you sure this board does in fact work?
Next, I do not believe that board even supports win10 [which is not causing your problem however win10 is not a supported operating system]
Since you just built the system, read the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds. If you follow ALL steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

FWIW I would not put any money into fixing that old of tech. Up to you however it is not cost effective.

#5 · (Edited)
That board was made about 2008,the only drivers for it is windows 7. Here is a link to a forum about all the trouble trying to upgrade a 780i (Similar) https://forums.evga.com/Is-the-780i-motherboard-compatable-with-windows-10-m2378947.aspx NVidia is out of the chipset business. You would have more luck if it was an intel chipset. My 775 intel boards are 2011 series, I plan to try Win 10 spare on a hard drive to see if it will work. If all your parts at the same age as the board it could be the PSU or bad capacitors on the board. My Dell SC430 board from 2009 had bad caps and I was able to find a good one to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.