1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build PC: CMOS does not rekognize HDD, system does not boot according to boot seq

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bolepa, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bolepa

bolepa Thread Starter

Hi,
    I got very interesting problem here. I just build new PC:
    Albatron KX400-8XV/XP2200/Kingston DDR 512Mb RAM/Maxtor DiamondPlus 80 Gb/CD-ROM + CDRW/Floppy.
    When I first turned new PC "on" - everything went OK. All three fan's (two on motherboard and one on case) turned "on" too.
    Then I heard one short beep. I access CMOS setup and tried to auto detect my HDD - no success, my HDD was not recognized. I tried to change jumpers from MASTER to CABLE SELECT - with same result. Both my CD-Rom and CD-RW, floppy drive were recognized by CMOS but interesting thing is: when I setup sequence (1.Floppy, 2.CD-Rom, 3.HDD) system wont boot from either of them. I only can see black screen with some info on it: motherboard name, processor model, how much memory and then system starts to look for HDD but can not find it and hangs.
    I tested HDD on my anoter PC and test went OK. I tried to switch HDD, CD-Rom and CD-RW connectors between IDE1 and IDE2 connectors on motherboard - still the same.

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi, Just a thought but probaly not so since (Atapi and Floppy are being detected) Be sure to chek that the Clear CMOS jumper is set to the normal mode, usaually (pin1 to pin2).
    Copy the Drive Parameters off the Max hardiskoff and manually enter them in under Primary IDE in BIOS.
    2nd, just a thought but hav you chekd for the proper orientation of the signal cable for the hardisk to make sure pin1 red is properly orinted on the disk and the end goin to the controller on MB. Also, try chngin out the Primary IDE signal cable with a known good one. Let us know.

3. bolepa

bolepa Thread Starter

Rusty1952,
    I forgot to mention it. Yes, I made sure that all cables connected appropriate (pin 1).
    Secondly I tried bit before changing out the Primary IDE signal cable with a known good one. Basically I just swapped connector IDE1 (HDD) with IDE2 (CD-Rom+CDRW). After that I was not able to access CMOS setup. After I turned PC "on" only thing I could see on black monitor was blinking cursor in right upper corner of the screen.
    It looks like defective IDE1 CONNECTOR ON THE MOTHERBOARD but anyway, why PC can not boot from FLOPPY and CD-ROM?

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Could be bad Bios Chip as well, or even the MB Chipset. I believ I'd try contacting Albatron Tech Support about ur MB if u havn't already done so.
    U did try "Clearing the CMOS" and then putting jumper bak to Normal and then re-chekin , right ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice