New build problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hansmax

I'm upgrading an old P2 system. I ordered the following: Mach Speed V2DP motherboard, AMD Sempron 2400+ (1.67 GHz), 512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM. I put the thing together, as of now the processor and memory are on the motherboard, nothing else is hooked up. The monitor is hooked into the video port on the motherboard. When I start the computer, the CPU fan starts up (indicating to me that there is some power on the mobo. When I first tried it I had the hdd, CDdrive and floppy drive hooked up, and I heard the CD drive start up (there was a Win98 install disk in it that I had forgotten to take out) run a little, and shut down, so there is some activity there. My problem is that I get no video at all. Just a black screen. What is my next step? Any input would be appreciated.

The CPU will not boot unless the Power Supply advises it that all voltages are OK (Via the Power_Good line) within about 0.5 seconds from power-up.

Is the PSU capable of handling the new processor etc?

hansmax

The powersupply should be capable of handling it (I think it's 250 W, although a little hard to tell) at least with just the CPU, mb, and memory, kiwiguy. No, frankjohn, I have not because I have no video to look at the BIOS or CMOS setup.

PCG342

Banned
The PS, assuming it's still fully functional, should be able to handle that. I've done more with a 175.
Yep, call me the Daredevil.

Shut it down and try disconecting the vga cable from the mb and see if the cpu fan keeps running afterwards. You may have to clear the cmos and start over again.

If what happens is that everything seems to start up but just no video (as opposed to fans etc. starting and then stopping). Recheck all the basic connections--RAM, power, monitor. Trying a CMOS clearing with the MB jumper can be tried as suggested. Then to rule out something shorting on the case take the MB out and put it on a non conductive surface with just a basic setup--CPU/heatsink fan, RAM, monitor and power.

hansmax

Sorry to be so tardy in replying, but the good news is that the CMOS clear did the trick. Thank you to everyone for your time and input. I will mark this solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online