1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Artful, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Artful

Artful Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    Hopefully I have put this in the correct section. Sincere apologies if I have not.

I done the exact same built part for part as Carey Holzman in how to build a gaming pc 2012. It was my first build and I found his video very easy to follow.

I used an external writer to load Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit when I first turned it on.

I have installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD and a Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD.

I followed Careys instructions and when prompted, installed Windows on the SSD during the first start up.

It has went a little wrong somewhere after this. On Careys video the SSD was Disk "0" and the HDD was Disk "1". Mine were the other way around. I have since swapped the Sata cables around in the MB and its now ok. The only thing I cant seem to follow (or fix) is that on Careys video his SSD had the System Reserve 100 MB NTFS partition and his 3 TB HDD was empty.

My PC has the System reserve in the 3 TB section and the SSD is empty. I will post a Screenshot below to show you. Hopefully I can fix this with your help without having to reinstall.

ps. I also now have a rather large partition on the HDD that I dont want and all the optons are greyed out.

If you need any other info please ask.

Thanks David

Attached Files:

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

3. Artful

Artful Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Sorry if my post is a bit vague. Here is the info you require ;

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16342 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 244195 MB, Free - 173690 MB; D: Total - 764333 MB, Free - 764219 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 70 MB; F: Total - 1332714 MB, Free - 1332583 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z77X-UP4 TH
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

I think I may have now added another partition during my attempt to fix this :confused:

Here is a link to Carey Holzman on Youtube. This is the first in 3 parts that I followed to build this pc ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjxMG4OLdE

Here is my latest screen shot (I'll try and leave this alone now until I get some proper advice) ;

Attached Files:

4. Artful

Artful Thread Starter

Hi,

Forgot to mention that I had earlier been told to try opening a command and running as administrator and typing

bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

The pc now boots with the HDD disconnected as it didnt before. I think all I might need to do now is format the HDD so that its a full 3TB drive again.

The only problem I see with that is I will lose the System Reserve which should be on the C drive but ended up on this one. Can it be moved?

thanks David

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

A thorough [ non quick ] format, during which chkdsk runs, & re-install will give you the cleanest install.

I use Acronis True Image in cases like this to clone to a different HDD. Upside: all might go well & I won't have to do ^^ :).

Downside: $ for ATI. There are some freeware imaging programs mentioned at support.techguy.org with which I have NO experience. :)

RF123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

7. Artful

Artful Thread Starter

Hi, Managed to merge 2 of the partitions so Im only left with the System Reserve partition and the 746.52 GB unallocated partition.

I think I would be happy to just leave it alone if I could just find a way of getting the unallocated partition to merge with the main one.

Is there anyway you know of to get that unallocated bit working?

thanks David

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Do you want to or have you enlarged the system partition?

Do you want to store data there?

If you haven't already done so, PLEASE READ

9. Artful

Artful Thread Starter

Hi RF123,
    Thanks for the speedy replies and trying to help me along. Your a star.

Im not in the least bit Computer literate so I'll try and explain better what I am trying to do here.

I have somehow ended up with a big chunk of my 3TB HDD as unallocated (746.52GB). On the video I followed to build the PC, this didnt seem to happen.

I have know idea why it happened to me but I was wondering if I could get that chunk back. It seems there are not very much options available when I right click on it so that is why I am asking you.

As for the System reserve bit, I know it should have been on the SSD but it has ended up on the HDD for some reason but Im not bothered about that as the pc is running great etc.

I just want the unallocated bit back to that I have a 3TB drive instead of a 2TB one.

In the screenshot, the arrow shows where the System reserve partition should have been and the partition circled is the bit I would like back. Is this possible?

Thanks again David

Attached Files:

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice