1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Build problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timuuro, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timuuro

Timuuro Thread Starter

Greetings! I am currently in the middle of a new PC build which is going poorly to say the least.

I have upgraded my Motherboard (ASUS Sabretooth 55i), Processor (Intel I7), and added 16 Gigs of RAM.

On the first attempted build I tried to apply my old HDDs to the new build. My newer of the old HDDs is only 250 Gigs ( I know, get a teraquad already!), but for all intents and purposes it houses all my old "stuff." On top of that I also added an older 160 Gig HDD for storage (initially). After the build I attempted to load Windows 7 onto the 160gig HDD and planned to use the 250gig HDD for storage (a reversal of thought so to speak). The 160gig drive became my C Drive and the 250 gig drive was my D drive. When I installed Windows 7 (new, not an upgrade) it created a partition on my C drive (Drive E) and put the Windows 7 installation there. I deleted the partition and reinstalled Windows 7. Everything was fine after that, I was able to access programs, install anti-virus, an access the Net. Upon turning on the PC the next day I booted to desktop but upon trying to click icons I got pop ups indicating that the file could not launch due to file corruption. This was the case for all 4 of the icons I had currently on the desktop (Anti-virus, iTunes, Firefox and a PC game). I restarted and got the same issue. I then attempted a third restart and the PC began doing a file scan, which detected a ton of issues. This scan then restarted the PC and re-ran itself again, finding the same issues. This happened 3 times before I turned off the PC.

I've decided that the C drive (160 gig) HDD is corrupt. So my theory is "less is more" for the time being. So I removed the C drive with the intention of loading Windows 7 on the D drive, as I have plenty of storage there and will be upgrading to a larger HDD when $$$ allows (I've spent a ton on hardware this month as it is). However, for some reason now, my DVD drive is now not getting power and I can't run the Windows 7 disc. I've checked all my connections ( I think) and it should be getting power, but isn't. (The C drive used the IDE cable to connect to the DVD Drive, however the D drive does not have an IDE connection so I have that connected to the motherboard via a SATA cable). So my current connection series is: DVD Drive > Motherboard via IDE cable and HDD to Motherboard via SATA cable, I'm assuming I can access the HDD thru the motherboard. My previous build's setup was DVD > 160gig HDD (slave) > 250gig HDD (master) > Motherboard via one IDE cable.

The DVD Drive is plugged directly into my power supply. The PC is getting adequate power, it cycles through its boot process detecting connections at the Processor, RAM, and Vid card). However in the BIOS screen, the DVD Drive is not detected, but was on the first build. It continues to detect a CD/ROM drive which does not exist ( I have only the one DVD Drive). My BIOS options for BOOT priority are Rem. Dev., the 250 HDD and Atapi CD/ROM. The only one I recognize is the HDD. Regardless, I can't install Windows 7 now. This build is giving me an ulcer. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

think you doing to much all at once with issues like this i would bare bones it 1 hdd,1 ram, etc etc untill stable then add in the others

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are these drives ide or sata that you are using?

Next the above advise is sound. Do the install with just the video card, optical drive and one hard drive, keyboard/mouse, nothing else.

It would help if you posted your exact specs; ie mb [already done] the exact pw supply you installed, what video card, the exact ram, what exact cpu, etc, etc. Remember just because a board supports a given socket like 1366, does NOT mean it supports all cpus based on that socket.

Post links to your parts if able.

4. Timuuro

Timuuro Thread Starter

ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870

Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/8G

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 5X DVD-RAM Write and Black Front Panel White E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRU820A

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

PNY VCG98GTEE1XPB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

This is a list of all the relevent hardware. I'm uncertain if I have the wiring correct on the DVD Drive > HDD> Motherboard. The current DVD Drive is IDE wired directly to the Motheboard and the HDD is SATA wired to the Motherboard. I'm not seeing a way to connect the DVD drive to the HDD then to the Motherboard directly. Either that or I don't have a cord for it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see a few things right off;
    1 When I check the asus site, there are a number of bios updates that address system stability. This leads me to think this is a problem prone board since just about every update addresses system stability problems. Usually asus ships the board with a sticker on the bios chip IDing what bios is installed. Check yours against the list at asus.

2 There are two different sata controllers on this board the intel and the jmicron. Make sure you are using the intel. Jmicron is about the most problem prone controller out there. The controllers should be color coded so be sure you use the intel ones. Read your manual as to which is which.

3 Before attempting another install, test the drive with the WD diagnostic. This runs from bootable media so no need for an os to even be installed.

Go back and recheck the jumper and cable position for the dvd drive. Make the dvd the master and connect it to the black end of the cable; mb is the blue end. The gray is for a slave device [do not use right now] If your ide cable is not color coded, you are using the wrong one. That would be an old 40 wire cable rather than the 40pin 80wire cable.

Be sure and pull out that creative sound card before doing another install. Get it up and running before attempting to install that card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice