1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new build, really loud fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badperson, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a new build, dual quad-core opteron chips, dynatron socket-f cpu coolers.

I have two hd's, a dvd burner, and a 750 watt psu, so I think I'm getting enough power.

the cpu fans are really loud, I'm wondering if I can lower the fan speed, or do I need to replace the cpu coolers?

it's a tyan extended atx motherboard, not sure if that makes a difference.
    thanks,
    bp

2. nate93

nate93

what is the problem? the case fans being very loud or the cpu fan being very loud? there is a way to lower the speed, but usually you need an expansion card =/

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Server heatsink coolers aren't really made to be quiet. Which model heatsink do you have? If it's the A5LG then we're talking close to 49Db each. Thats pretty loud.

How are the CPU temps?

Some options would be to:
    - replace the fans with quieter units
    - add a bay fan controller unit to your PC to lower the speed of the fans, and thus the noise output
    - replace the whole heatsink/fan unit with somethign quieter
    - stick the PC in a server room where it belongs :)

4. badperson

badperson Thread Starter

LOL, I think this is actually the ticket, and yeah, I figured the parts I bought weren't made for whisper silence...I'll figure something out.

Love the machine, though.
    bp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice