Solved New build requires old computer to wake up monitor?

AstroNut

Ghost in the machine!!!
I built an ITX machine consisting of...
RYZEN 5 5600X CPU
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming -ITX/AX motherboard
G.SKILL RIPJAW DDR4-3200 16GB X2
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB SSD
Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6600XT 8GB GDDR6
CORSAIR SF-750 POWER SUPPLY

My monitor won't detect my new build, it just shows black screen and it's ON light stays OFF when I start new PC
The only way I can my get new PC to display is to...
1st Start new PC
2nd Start old PC
3rd Plug monitors (ViewSonic® ELITE XG270Q i27" IPS G-SYNC) display cable into old PC
4th Wait for monitor to wake up
5th Unplug monitor from old PC and quickly plug into new PC
Then the monitor will display the new system.
And new PC will function fine like this...
But if I now turn OFF the old PC that is NOT connected to the monitor the display goes dark even though the new PC is still running!!!!!!
I restart the old PC and the monitor comes back ON even though it has NO connection to the monitor!!!!
Am I crazy!!!!

AstroNut

Never mind, I'm a dummy, I forgot I was using a Smart power strip surge protector and I was using the old PC as the Master to turn ON most of the other devices, so the monitor only got power when the old PC was ON.

AstroNut

Yes, it's working fine now, I just didn't remember the smart power strip I hooked the old PC to 10 years ago as it's hidden out of sight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online