New build specification

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Deluge

Hi Guys, I'm planning to rebuild a PC that I built several years ago for a family member and would like some guidance regarding the the components to buy. I have the following:
Cooler Master case - good..
PSU, 550W.
ATX Mobo, ASUS M4A785TD - V EVO.
CPU, AMD Phenom II X2 550 CPU.
I would like to use as many of theses as practical, while wanting to end with a decent home office PC, one that is somewhat future proofed.
I should add that I have a preference for AMD CPUs.
I am a late octogenarian and have not kept in touch with what is the "In the in thing" and I look forward to your guidance.

Deluge

You can use all of those components in the 'new' PC.
It will be relatively slow though compared with more modern ones but good enough for office work.
You will also need some Ram, a Monitor, keyboard and mouse.
You can check which Ram will be compatible on this list :- https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/M4A785TD-V_EVO/M4A785TD-V-EVO-Memory-QVL.zip

What OS will you use on it ?
Thank you for your reply. But I would like a somewhat higher specification, in case some of the "Juniors!" might want to play games on it. I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor. I would use Windows 10 (11?) as the OS..

plodr

Liz
If you want to future proof, then Windows 11. It comes out in October. Support for Windows 10 ends October 14, 2025.

crjdriver

I have used this motherboard in a number of builds and it is bullet proof;
ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
Combine that board with a ryzen 7 or 9 along with 32gig of corsair vengeance ram and you will have a very impressive system. Add a nvme drive as the system drive along with a large spin drive for backups, data files, whatever.
If your pw supply is more than 6~7yr old, get a new, quality pw supply. They do not last forever and you do not want to fry expensive parts if an old pw supply fries.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
I wrote my post #2 because you said you wanted to use as many of the parts as possible.
I did realise that conflicted with making the PC future proof.
You will have to build it from modern parts to do that.
You should be able to use that Corsair case though.

If you want it future proofed, remember to buy a processor newer that 2018. Windows 11 wants that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online