Solved New Build Suggestions?

Terryw92

I have picked out a few parts, I was wondering if there was anything am missing or making a mistake with or if there is room for improvements? - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dFstPV

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card - Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4 GB Video Card

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply - Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

The Video Card and PSU are from my PC at the moment, Hopefully i can upgrade the gpu later

crjdriver

Looks good to me. I am not a fan of msi boards however those parts look OK. The motherboard you listed supports that cpu from bios A4 on SO you may have to do a bios flash to support your cpu. Not a big deal with that board; it has the bios flashback option [or whatever msi calls it] You can flash a bios without even having a cpu installed.

Terryw92

TY crjdriver, the MSI Mobo is just what i could find recommended at that price range with a decent VRM ( Honestly dont know if it is decent or important am a bit lost when it comes to computers now ) Am not sure about flashing the bios but seems to be necessary for that processor and hopefully i cant go wrong with the flashback feature .

Terryw92

Is there any motherboards you could suggest that would be recommended? Or is this board suitable enough for the hardware. I have no experience with MSI so am not sure if its a problem you have experienced with them or if they have a reputation for bad parts?

crjdriver

I had problems with their boards a number of years ago and it left a bad feeling toward msi products. Their new stuff may be fine however I try not to use them. I use asrock, asus, or gigabyte boards in builds.

crjdriver

You only update a bios if there is a reason to do so ie the current bios does not support your cpu OR has a fix you need. I would assemble/test the system first then decide if you need an update.
Since I do not use msi boards, I cannot tell you if there is a way to know what bios the board currently is running. With an asrock board, they have a sticker on the board showing the shipping bios. Asus can tell you what bios is on the board using the serial# on the motherboard box. MSI may or may not have this option.

Terryw92

I dont think i worded that correctly, i meant in the scenario i have to update the bios would it be recommended to update to the latest bios version A7. I Apologise for the confusion

crjdriver

First and foremost, you read the release notes for each bios. On some boards, you cannot just update to the latest one; you need to update to a given bios first then the latest one. If there are no caveats about needing to update to a bridge bios or similar, then yes update to the latest one IF it is necessary.
Again you only update a bios if it is necessary. There is no need to have the "Latest and greatest" bios AND there are numerous threads on this forum where someone attempted a bios update and now the system will not POST.

Terryw92

TY again crjdriver, I just assumed the newest bios would of been more stable with the fixes from previous ones. Probably first time closing a post more confused than when i started it, but it happens :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online