1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build won't boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul-81, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

Hi, I know I'm new but I have searched the forums for answer but haven't come up with anything that works so far.

I had a windows 8 Pc that was working fine till one day it crashed and wouldn't reboot. I bought a new hardrive but for some reason couldn't install Windows from new so I decided to buy all new components.

I am running a MSI - Z77A-G43 motherboard
    Intel Core i5 3570 S1155 3.4ghz CPU
    2x4GB Crosair Vengence LP DDR3 memory
    1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 3
    The only thing unchanged is my PSU. which is - Xclio X14 SP 650W PSU

Everytime I try to boot from Windows 7 from DVD it gets to about 60% of copying files then reboots. It tells me that there was a problem and to choose 'Repair' from the options but this does nothing. I have tried this process several times now. I have no USB devices plugged in. I have tried booting from another harddrive, from another machine that has Windows 7 on when I do this the screen just goes blank and goes no further. I have even tried booting a version of Ubuntu, If I try to install it or boot from disc it just reboots.

Any help is greatly appreciated, it is driving me insane.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, some things to check;
    1 What bios version are you running? When I check the msi site, it shows that bios 2.4 or newer is needed to support that cpu. You can see the bios version displayed during post.

2 Test the memory with memtest. http://www.memtest.org/ Test your hard drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. Both of these run from bootable media so no need for an os to even be installed.

3 Enter the bios and check your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This should be under something hardware monitor or health. I do not use msi boards so I cannot give you an exact bios menu; read your manual.

3. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

Thank You, much appreciated.

I am running version 2.5 of the Bios.
    The Memory test and HD diagnostics showed no errors.
    My CPU temp is around 40C Mainboard around 33C The voltages are spot on apart from the 5V which is running about 4.7V. CPU core voltage is 1V.

Not sure what else I can try. The only thing that isn't brand new is my PSU. Not sure if that could be the issue?

Thanks again

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

4.7 is pretty low. You need to remember that is under a no load situation ie when in the bios. When you stress the system, the voltage is going to drop lower. I would swap in a known good pw supply for testing.

Just so I understand you tested with memtest and there were no errors. You tested the hard drive using the long or full test and there were no errors.

The memory test you see during post means nothing; it is only testing how much memory is installed; not testing each memory address.

5. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

Thanks it seems to have gone up to 4.9V at the moment. My PSU is about four and a half years old, so probably time for a new one. Any recommendations? Are Cooler Master any good?

Thanks again for your time and help

6. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

yes, that is correct I tested with memtest from a usb and the full test on the hard drive

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

We recommend corsair, seasonic, pcpower&cooling, or FSP. For a basic build, antec is ok as well.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In regard to corsair, not the builder series. Those are lower in quality than the regular corsair units.

9. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

Thank you. I will get one tomorrow, what wattage should I be looking at, for that set up? Is 650W enough?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What video card do you have installed?

11. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

I don't on this. Onboard graphics only

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. Paul-81

Paul-81 Thread Starter

I see, thank you for your help

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice