1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build won't POST - ASUS P8Z680-V

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jabso, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jabso

jabso Thread Starter

This is the first time I've built a computer and it doesn't seem to be POSTing.

The mother board is ASUS P8Z680-V and the CPU is an i5 2500k. All cables are plugged in, including the ATX/CpU 8 pin power cable.

What happens is the motherboard powers up for a good 10 seconds, I get no beeping from the speaker, then it powers down, then it powers back up again and stays powered on until I turn it off, I get no display on the monitor or no beeps on the mobo speaker.

When it powers off after 10 seconds the CPU led lights up for a split second. The DRAM light is on though. I've tried different combinations of RAM and nothing seems to work. I've tried taking the RAM out just to test if the speaker is working and it was, I was getting 1 long beep followed by 2 short which indicates memory problems.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

You have already provided the Mobo and CPU. The rest is also needed.

3. jabso

jabso Thread Starter

Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P (+12V rail with 67A (peak 72A)
    Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 (1.5v)
    2 x Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB [11188-05-41G]
    Intel Core i5 2500K
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
    Thermaltake Black Chaser MK-I Full Tower
    Samsung SH-222AB SATA DVDRW Drive
    ASUS P8Z68-V Motherboard B3
    Crucial M4 SSD 128GB
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU Cooler

4. jabso

jabso Thread Starter

More info needed?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried the system with just one of the Video cards installed? Silverstone is not really a quality brand Power supply and may not be providing its advertised Wattage and amperage.

6. jabso

jabso Thread Starter

Really? It has some silver standard award? Perhaps that means nothing.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

All computer component manufacturers have their up's and down's. I don't know what Silverstone is currently marketing, but I do know that previously their power supply's were good.

Just from my personal experiences as an OEM builder/repairer the 4 things I look for in a power supply for high performance applications are these.

#1-Single +12v rail.
    #2-Power output calculated at 40-50°C.
    #3-Non-modular, hard wired cabling.
    #4-5 year or longer warranty.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Silverstone pw supplies are fine; on par with corsair or seasonic.

Next have you read and followed the guide at the top of the page for problem builds?

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I stand corrected, The limited experiences I have had with them were older models and for me were not positive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice