1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstviolet, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dstviolet

dstviolet Thread Starter

I'm planning on a new build & seeking some advice. I currently have a 500gb sata barracuda drive, Lite On dvd burner 24x, evga 8400 gs video card. The mobo I'm looking at is msi 277a-g4 lga 1155 Intel. not sure if I should get core i3 or i5 cpu. I'm not a gamer as far as playing anything like warcraft or something like that. For the case, i looked at a Thermaltake Commander MS-I atx mid tower, but open to suggestion. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AstroNut

AstroNut

You may check out the parts Rob "Triple6" recommended for me, http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1082141-help-me-upgrade-please.html they worked out great, I just put it together last night and it's smokin fast, and if you don't game like me you can skip using a video card as the on board graphics are supposed to be pretty good with the new Z77 intel chipset and a Ivy Bridge i5 processor, and you may need to buy a new burner if it's not a SATA drive.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would help if you posted what the intended use would be for this system; ie video encoding, home theater, what.

Next what operating system are you installing?

Just my opinion however I am not a fan of msi mb; I use and recommend either gigabyte or asus boards.

4. dstviolet

dstviolet Thread Starter

thanks for the advice so far. I will be putting windows 7 pro 64 bit os, & my dvd burner is sata. I may want to use home theater in near future. use some video streaming, light gaming

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

MSI has done me great for AMD builds... Intel however ASUS / Gigabyte are probably the best.

And what is your intended use? i5 would be overkill for web browsing, and an i3 would be a little weak for video editing...

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice