1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterrn, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Would you see if there is any SIGNIFICANT component I could trim for a substantial savings or if it looks OK especially for building a VM with guests?

Also would you opt for Windows 10 Pro retail over the OEM they listed. I do not know if they can but is it worth the try to retail?

Attached Files:

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

OEM licenses are generally bound to the PC and aren't transferable, so that's something to take into consideration before making the purchase. How many guest OSs do you envisage hosting on the machine? If it's one or perhaps two then you should be fine with a 500GB SSD. Any more than that, plus all the apps and personal data you might load, may suggest it's better to look at a 1TB SSD.

3. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I will buy retail which they will install.
    I will use 1 guest and thank you.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome (y)

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You haven't listed a Graphics card, if you want to play modern games you will need one, if you just want to run a VM then you are fine.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What virtualization software will be used and how many guests? What will be running on the guest OS's? Is this for a business or home use, and if for a business how big and what do they do?

7. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I would use Virtual Box with 1 guest. I do not game.
    May I ask, if they build, and I get a retail Windows Pro which they do not carry[just OEM], any thoughts as to how I keep the key secret?
    I think as I move along I need help to coordinate some surprises like OEM and changes with component prices you suggested.
    I am now thinking of Mac b/c retail machines are OEM and have low end parts.
    Having it built by Micro Center[power Spec parts] seemed a good idea but is becoming a hassle.
    I would lose my keyboard, monitor and mouse and move to Mac book as it seems an easy, safe route.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't understand the need to keep the key a secret, why do you want to do this? Keys can and have always been easy to retrieve from the system, especially when they just use to be a sticker on the side of the computer. Once they pay for it it's theirs.

If you want a quality machine then buy a pre-built Dell, HP, or Lenovo computer from their business lines. Those machines exceed consumer grade components by miles and offer better technical support and better warranties if stuff does fail. We use to provide custom built systems with Asus or Gigabyte components for our clients but eventually moved to Lenovo Think branded desktops and laptop and the amount of service, failures, and problem has dropped dramatically. We also have clients who use Dell Optiplex, Precision, and Latitude computers and they are even more reliable.

9. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I did not understand the key with retail and thought the person installing could use it on another machine and negate my ability to use it. I have been told 50-50 about retail vs. OEM.
    Micro Center does not offer retail so OEM if OK would simplify things. I understand your suggestion about brand prebuilt but I did see the inventory and nothing caught my eye. Also they had bloat ware. I got two print outs but my friends felt they were not good as they had Adata etc which they felt were inadequate. The only one with fairly good features had a PSU with 350 Watts.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dell business computers do not come with bloatware, Lenovo has some but they are all Lenovo utilities not just random junk.

A 350 Watt PSU for a non gaming computer is way more than enough. New systems use very little power. An 850 watt PSU is completely unnecessary for your build, the cooler is also necessary. You appear to be building a gaming computer, minus the graphics, then something that should be used in a production environment.

It's not your problem if they steal the key, if they do then you simple choose to stop doing business with them.

11. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Do you mean the cooler is unnecessary or necessary?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unnecessary, a basic Intel cooler is all you need. Also do you need a K series processors? I assume you wouldn't be overclocking this computer.

13. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I will tell the store to delete that cooler.
    K series =I do not know- I would like to hyper thread, build a virtual machine, have blue tooth, WiFi (AC), modem for fax as I fax a lot., USB 3. etc
    which series would you suggest? I did not even know there were different series :(
    I changed PSU from 850 to 500 and RAM fro 16 to 8.
    I hope the 500 GB SSD is OK for the VM.
    I am unsure about the retail vs retail - idea?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    HDD or SSD space will depend on what they use. 64GB is enough for Windows, Office, and some data files, but even 500GB may not be enough for a large amount of video files, it depends on what they use.

For Desktop processors i5's have 4 cores and no HyperThreading, and i7's have 4 or 6 cores with HyperThreading. K models also offer the ability to overclock by having an unlocked multiplier.

Retail vs OEM you mean? Retail versions you are allowed to move it to another computer as long as you stop using it on the original computer and you also get technical support for Microsoft. With OEM it cannot be moved to another computer and you don't get technical support from Microsoft except for a few things.

Why do you need a virtual machine at all?

15. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

First my HDD is 500 and I have ample room. Pix etc are in external drives with my Macrium images.
    My current Dell XPS 8300 does not support hyper threading and I get by fine so I could drop to i5 if the features I listed would work with i5 - do they!

I have built one on another machine and used it to see if I like another app. I also like the "fun" of doing so.

If the assembler for my machine can see the key either way, I would get Windows retail and hope they don't use the key. I have been told that retail is better and pro beats home. I have forgotten he reasons.
    BTW, I do appreciate your helping me pare down the list so I can build a good yet reasonable machine- thank you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice