1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New build :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gulo Luseus, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus Thread Starter

well now... my poor old BFG mobo had a bit of a hard time when I installed my new GPUs, so I had to go for a total rebuild. Pretty much everything got the treatment. My 88s went to GTX 260s, which caused the prob in the brginning when my mem controller got whacked. To cure it, I went to a new PSU, then a new mobo, which needed new DDR3 mem, and I thought what the hey, so I got a couple of 1TB drives as well.
    The new system compoments went like this...

Asus striker 2 NSE Mobo
    2 x GTX260 GPUs (SLI)
    Absolute 1000W PSU (4 dedicated GPU leads, much easier!)
    4Gb (2x2) Corsair DDR3 1600 mem
    4 x 500Gb SATA 2 drives, as 2 x 500 and 1 1Tb RAID disk
    2 x SATA 1TB disk (Samsung)
    Generic floppy drive ( Still use em!)
    SATA RAID card
    From the old system, I kept
    Q6600 CPU
    2 x DVD writer (SATA)
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case
    Habu Razor mouse ( I like it!)
    G15 keyboard
    4 port USB hub

I had my backups, so all was well there. I took out all the olds, installed the new mobo, GPUs, gubbuns, and went for a startup, waiting for the flaws to set it. You know what? It booted perfectly. Eveything recognised. XP went on, no probs, Vista went on, which for some reason gave me a BSOD with the IRQ error, but on restart all went ok.
    After that, its installation time for everything.
    So, the question. A perfect rebuild, a perfect install. Asus have been restored in my opinion, after a bad bad experience with a striker 1 mobo. Now, has anyone clocked this type of rig yet? Asus have a crazy setting, which I have yet to try, but any thoughts? also, what sort of 3D Mark 06 should I be getting on standard? Cheers all :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad everything worked for you. Maybe asus is coming back in quality/quality control. I have had a number of problems with asus boards in the past.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus Thread Starter

Agreed, nice to know it goes well once in a while! Out of the probably 100+ builds in th elast 10 or 15 years, I think about 5 have gone well. Some down to me connecting things wrong, more often it seems hardware or software getting arsey. Thought it might be nice, in a forum on problems, to put in a good bit of news for a change :)
    I used to love Asus, but after the Striker 1, they seemed to have gone off the rails. the 2 seems a much better board, and much solider.
    Crysis? Bring it, mr wizard :) :) :) :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, 8~10 years ago asus was at the top of the heap for board makers. In the last 3yrs or so they really went downhill. May be they are on their way back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice