1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Builder, No Video on monitor...please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xtheDAN, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xtheDAN

xtheDAN Thread Starter

i recently recieved an Emachine W2047 with the original motherboard with no components on it. I then purchased an ATI 9550 video card, a Power Man ATX power supply, a cd drive, a 512 mb memory stick and a 250 gb WD Caviar SE hard drive. Now to mine and a fellow computer builders knowledge everything is plugged in correctly and everything powers on. All fans spin even the one on the video card spins which means everything is getting power. hard drive works, cd drive works..but there is no video feed. Now my friend told me theres an onboard video card, but the monitor plug in for the mother board is all messed up and has been removed. I was told that i need to tell the motherboard to read from the other video card instead of the onboard one, but i dont know how to do that. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time

2. SB305

SB305

THAT does not look good! :(
    You need to get into BIOS to disable on-board graphics (but some mobo's automatically switch to the card if one's been added) - and, obviously you can't do that.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you received the machine with just the board and no other components, you MAY have received a machine with a blown motherboard. I feel sure the machine originally probably had a Bestec power supply, and they had a history of failing after a couple of years. When they failed, in most instances they also took out the motherboard.

4. hudey123

hudey123

You lost me at "eMachines".

5. Flags

Flags

x: There are a few things you can do to pinpoint the problem.
    First be sure the monitor works. Test it on another machine using the cord the may be suspect. Be sure there are no bent pins on the D sub connector that connects your monitor to the PC.
    Use a different known good RAM stick.
    If all this checks out, it is likely your mobo is shot.
    Almost forgot--when you turn it on and it is running, is there any HDD activity i.e. is the HDD led light blinking?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice