1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Built computer issue. Little help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Axoneo, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

My dad and I just got done building our first PC.
    The Mother board is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, with an AMD 2500+ processor.
    When we start it up, we get the beep at the ASUS Logo screen, but during the load up screen we keep getting the error "Warning!! CPU have been changed".
    From there the computer just stops. It doesn’t shut down, the CPU Temp stays at a steady 98-101 degrees. I am really not sure what else to do with this problem. Tried to cut power and restart several times with nothing.
    We are pretty stumped over here, so any help or advice would be of MUCH appreciation.
    Thanks,
    Axoneo

2. McTimson

McTimson

Is that temp in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

You may have to edit the CPU properties in the BIOS - Hit the appropriate key to access the BIOS (it should say it on the screen, or in the manual somewhere), and make sure the values are set correctly for FSB, and stuff like that. While you're there, you might as well make sure the boot order is set to whatever you need it set as.

3. PCMan78

PCMan78

Whenever you ad a new cpu to your system you get that error. It's ok. Go to bios and hit the "optimal performance" or "best performance" tab to load the default values. That should do it. Exit and save and every thing should boot normally. If you added your CPU personally, please make sure that the thermal grease was applied correctly. I've seen many CPUs fry due to incorrect installations.

4. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

That Temp is in Fahrenheit. I am not exactly what the correct values should be set for FSB.
    My boot order is:
    Floppy
    HDD
    CDROM
    Then is just says:
    Boot other Device "enabled"
    Boot up floppy seek "enabled"
    Boot up numlock status "enabled"

I am not really sure if this order is fine or not.
    PCMan your post came in the same time as mine I will give your advice a shot. Will get right back to you.
    jlink

5. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

PCMan78.. that did the Trick:)
    Thanks. I will keep this post alive because I am sure there will be other problems ahead.. hehe
    Jlink

6. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

Well we got past CPU warning and everything was going great. It prompted us to stick in our System disk, so I stuck in the Windows XP disk... Windows setup began..
    Then it stopped and read, (can't remember exact words) Windows Set up cannot continue your HDD was not detected Please make sure you have power connected to your HD, and that configuration is correct, press f3 to stop set up", so I did.
    This I what I don't understand.. In the bios it recognizes our Maxtor HD, and when the computer is loading up It also recognizes our Maxtor HD, but the Windows set up did not?
    Also *Now when we start up the computer it Stops at the "Verifying DMI Pool Data......." , and wont continue.
    Hmmm.
    Stumped AGain.
    Any suggestions are once again welcomed.
    jlink

7. Firah

Firah

Axoneo,

Is the HDD jumper set to Master?

8. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

"Is the HDD jumper set to Master?"

Hmm I don't know. I will look into this right away... It will say in the Bios if the HDD is set to Master or not right? I think I have a pretty good idea how to set it to Master, but I am not totally sure, little instructions would be very helpful.. please.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Ax

9. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Look for a little plastic jumper piece on some small pins next to where the ribbon cable plugs in.Usually,a HDD has a diagram on it as to which pins need to be jumpered together to make the drive the "master".
    I take it this drive has also been prepared for use? Partitioned and formatted?

10. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

Hi GwizJoe, and thanks.
    Okay, I thought it had to with the plastic jumper pieces that came with it;)
    We have not done anything with HD as far as Formatting. We were told that there was a Chance that the New HD would come pre-formatted.. How true is that?? I don't know but I have the feeling I am going to find out. heh
    Axoneo

11. Firah

Firah

You will be given the option to format the HDD during the install process, once you get the system running.

12. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

We called Maxtor Tech support, this is what we figured out.
    This is a Serial Mother board.. It Does not require Jumpers at all to make it “Master”.
    In the Bios, in the device load sequence I had to change *HDD to *SCSI so it would look for a Serial device on the MB.
    On my other computer I have to take the Mother Board CD and get the right Drivers and transfer them to a Floppy to get this Serial HDD working. Something about Windows XP will only search for a Floppy to find the drivers, not the CD (something like that he said). (makes me wonder what the hell I would have done If I didn't buy the Obsolete floppy for this new system)
    The Tech person didn't know the name of the drivers I would be looking for on the MB CD so I will be doing some Guess work.
    That’s where I stand atm. Any other suggestions are all ways welcomed.
    AXoneo

13. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

I am proud to say the New computer is up an running very Nicely!
    I have just one more question. I am running an AMD 2500+ processor, when I check in system in the Control panel it only says the processor is 1.09Ghz, and PCPitstop says 1100Mhz? I thought this processor was 1.83? Anyone understand this, please shed some light..
    Axoneo

14. compilerxp

compilerxp

You're not set up properly... Did you change the Mhz jumper? Your CPU is supposed to be 333mhz, go into BIOS and change it to this speed. Its in the manual, but they could have written it a bit better.

Insert the ASUS motherboard CD-ROM, it has a menu to install the drivers. 2-3 clicks and a reboot and its finished.

You can tell Windows to look for drivers on CD-ROM... but floppy? VERY VEYR Very rare will find drivers on floppy.... Nvidia driver would require about 50 floppies. The CD has its own setup function.

I dont see how you could put the drivers on Floppy or why...

15. Axoneo

Axoneo Thread Starter

You didn't understand what I had to do with the floppy thing.
    In order to get the windows XP cd to install on my computer I had to get it take certain (like 4-5) files from the MB CD and transfer them on to a floppy. Windows XP would ONLY look for a floppy for these .sata files to initially recognize the HD or the set up would go no Further, and putting in a CD would Not work. Windows stated, "please insert your Floppy with the drivers that came from your Manufacture, press S to specify, Enter to continue" (something very similar to that). I had to hit Specify, then it searched drive a: for these files: SATA_C, Si3112r, Si3112r.sys, Si3112r.mpd, SIISUPP.VXD, and TxtSetup.oem. After I got through that, then windows installed and loaded up. I then put the MB cd in and loaded the rest of the drivers, Nvidia etc. It was a weird situation to say the least but it was the only way, and that’s what the Tech person told me to do.
    I don't see anything in the BIOS where I can change the speed of the CPU at all. I see a setting to change the CPU from Optimal to Aggressive, and I found a Place to change the FSB from Disabled to .5% and to 1.0%. If you have a specific place for me to make a change please feel free:)
    Axoneo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice