1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New burner not quite right

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mtzlplex, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi to all. First time doing this so venturing into uncharted territory. My system specs are 300mgh Pentium/80mgb sd ram, 2 gig hd, 700mgb free, running 98se. I know my system is on the ancient side, but does fall withing the specs needed for this new cd burner (52x24x52 seamless link). I got the burner, and software(Nero express v5.5.10.4, and Ahead incd V3.5.19.2) installed, and after about 2 hours of trying to figure things out, finally burned my first cd on a memorex cd-r (700mb,80min,40x multispeed). The problem is sound quality(music cd), some scratching(not much, but some), and a little skip here and there. I set the burning speed at 40x to go with the cd-r, and used the copy the entire cd from my cd-rom option. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions to help me get the quality up to par. Like I said, first time I`ve ever installed, and tried to set up a burner, and it`s kind of greek to me. I had wondered if I set the burning speed down a bit if that would help?, and also had noticed that in the properties part of my cd-rom, and cd-rw that the sync data transfers box was not checked, and had wondered if that had any relationship to the skips in the sound? I really don`t care how slow I burn a cd, time is no problem, I have more of it than money if you know what I mean. Any help in resolving this will be appreciated. Thanks for your time. PS, both medias were cleaned before start.

Regards
    Mike Peters

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Slowing down the burning process "could" help........but
    The first thing to consider is the "quality" of the original. You didn't say, but if you are doing MP3s that are downloaded that could very well be the problem. ........GIGO

3. mobo

mobo

You did burn at the highest possible speed for the cdr so perhaps slowing it down to 32 would help. Also check the manufacturers site for updated (firmware) for your cdrw.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First, I'd try burning the music at 8x and see if you get a quality recording. I really doubt your system can keep up with 40x, and while "seamless-link" is supposed to prevent generating coasters, data CD's don't mind the small gap, but audio CD's do. I record all my audio CD's at 8x, and I have three machines that are over 2ghz processor speed. :)

5. mtzlplex

Hey LONGHAIR, thanks for the reply. Nope, not doing MP3s, just cd to cdr. I appreciate your imput.

Regards
    Mike Peters

6. mtzlplex

Hi motherboard, I think that`s what I will do right off the bat, slow the record speed down. I went to the Nero website, and if I am reading them right, there is no update between my version 5.5, and 6.0, and they consider going from 5.5 to 6.0, an upgrade, and they want cash for that, I thought that was kind of special, I just bought this 2 days ago, and wasn`t really into having to pay money for an upgrade, doesn`t seem quite right. Oh well, I will fiddle with this thing and see if I can come up with better quality. Thanks for your time, and imput.

Regards
    Mike Peters

7. mtzlplex

Hello johnwill, thank you for your interest in my questions. And you telling me that you burn your`s at 8x is definitly something I needed to know, how slow you can burn(wasn`t sure of that) new to burning. I appreciate your taking time to help.

Regards
    Mike Peters

8. mobo

mobo

Have tried both and I still prefer my 5.5.10.42 over the vesion 6.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!