1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Camera Lost Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by adamblogsyou, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamblogsyou

adamblogsyou Thread Starter

Hi, I recently purchased the Samsung st500 with a 8GB lexar micro memory card. I was planning on using the camera for a vacation, but ran into some problems.

You see I was taking pictures the first couple of days no problem. I probably had about 120 pictures on the memory card when an error came up saying my files were corrupt. I of coarse began to freak out a bit and tried taking other pictures/fitling with the camera, with no success. Anyway just as I was beginning to lose hope the pictures came back and I thought all was fine.

So the next day I begin taking more pictures on the camera until I'm up to about 200 on the card when with no warning about 85 of the pictures once again vanish. The strange thing was that it wasn't the first 85 that vanished but seemingly random ones from the first 120 or so. :eek: .

At this point I am pretty angry/confused but I figure if they're gone they're gone so I keep taking pictures. I get to the point where I should have about 250 pictures on the camera when the memory seems to jostle again. Now non of the first 120 or so remain, some of the 120 - 200 remain, and all of the last 50 remain. I loaded the pictures on the computer hoping they would all show up but unfortunately just the ones shown on the camera upload. :mad:

The only reason I still have hope for the other pictures is that, pictures were disappearing and reappearing throughout the vacation and the camera shows on the dial picture 125 out of 250 and so on, but just jumps from the pictures that appear.

So, in closing is there anyway I can get these pictures back? Does this sound like a camera error or a memory card error?

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG

If the camera says, files corrupt, I would guess , it is the card, have you tried another card?
    Unfortunately I don't know about a Samsung camera, but I usually don't have any luck with corrupted pictures transfering to computer, lucky you got some off.
    Did you format the card in that camera? Sometimes that was my problem, some cameras don't like the way the cards are formatted/

Hopefully someone with a Samsung camera knowledge will come along and give you a better info.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Have you tried yet to upload the pictures from camera to computer ? at this stage the fault could be with either the camera or the card ....

4. antimoth

antimoth

If you're reading the camera pictures via a USB cable to the Samsung, try a card reader instead to read it directly. You probably need an SD adapter so it can be read in a PC card reader. I've never seen them for sale separately, but they come with new mini SD cards. You probably should buy a new card anyway. If the pics don't show up with the card in a reader, they may be gone.

You could try a card recovery program on the chance that somehow the camera just erased the pictures, in which case, a program like Recuva would find them. You need a reader to use it though..
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

So I would see if I could read the card directly, and also try recovery. I would also try a second card. If the same problem comes up, return the Samsung for exchange or repair.

My personal experience with Samsung --> reliability issues. I had one stop focusing on vacation, but I had a backup camera.

5. adamblogsyou

adamblogsyou Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    I already tried hooking the memory card directly into the computer with no success. I may try a recovery program.

6. moper

moper

Just make sure that your reader supports SDHC, and not just SD.

moper

7. bobelinho

bobelinho

Try a recovery tool. There a lot of them available but I recommend CardRecovery. I tested it and I managed to recover all photos from a Sony memory stick .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice