new case don't know what to do with some connectors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

catlady13

Hi, I got a new computer case for Christmas and have a motherboard that I have put in there. The case either didnt come with any instructions or they got lost in the Christmas flurry. From looking on the internet I figure the wires with the flat ends that say system and hdd and cpu are temperature sensors. I have a P4 intel cpu and I don't see anywhere to put a sensor in there, anyone got any ideas? And where would you put the sensor on a hard drive, and where would the system sensor go? The other odd thing is that I have two male sound jacks coming out INSIDE the case. One is green so I assume it is a speaker jack and the other is pink so I assume a microphone jack, but why INSIDE the case? Anyone got any ideas on that one please. Thank you so much.

catlady13

Motherboard is Intel 865PERL. THe problem with the case is I don't KNOW what case it is. I was so excited I threw out the box and didn't see any papers with it or inside the case. It is a nice aluminum case with thermal sensors front USB, firewire and speaker and mike jacks on the front. I have been searching endlessly to try to find out what kind of case it is. The friend who gave it to me is on a 3 week cruise so I can't even ask where it was purchased. SIGH.
I just spoke to a friend on the phone who suggested the male plugs might go through the case to the back to allow the front ports to work? Does this sound rational to you ? It sounds rather messy to me.

I just spoke to a friend on the phone who suggested the male plugs might go through the case to the back to allow the front ports to work? Does this sound rational to you ? It sounds rather messy to me.
If the front of the case has a spot for plugging in a speaker and a microphone then yes i agree 100% its probably for that. Usually speaker and microphone do not have on board plugs for internals so you would have to feed them through.

pugmug

Banned
If I were you I would wait to talk to the person that gave you the case. Get the make and model of the case and check with the company that made it to get the correct pinout. You have a nice intel mobo so do not go in blind and risk messing up your mobo or the case front header panel. Once you have that info come back if you need help. Here is a link to your mobo and will tell you all you need to know about connecting it after you have your case info. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/index.htm

catlady13

Thanks I already downloaded the mobo manual and have set everything up except for those male plugs and the things I think are temperature sensors. I am going to wait for the rest of it till my friend comes back as you suggested.. :)

pugmug

Banned
Oh, by the way. I do not think those connections are thermal sensors but are your front panel header connections from case to mobo. Intel has two programs for your mobo that check temps and other things and all you connect to the mobo are the fans. The Intel programs are Active Monitor and Desktop Control Center on the link I gave you. Have you ever pinned out a computer before?

Are the "things" you believe to be sensors very thin flat copper pieces of metal or are they black or blue small plugs with writing on them?

catlady13

HI , yes I have pinned out a computer and they are not like pins. They are flat , totally flat little wire things. I already have hooked up all the front panel header things and they all work. I was in buying some new cables because I couldn't get this thing to recognize my hard drive nor my rom drive and found an identical case in the little computer store. They guy in there said the male cables DO go through the back and plug in for the front ports.. seemed odd to be but there you go. I didn't ask him about the sensors though.. rats .. I should have.. I forgot. I was more concerned about not having my drives recognized. He told me IBM boards are senstive to how they are jumpered and like to be cable select so I am about to do that now.

Does the case a digital LED readout panel on the front or side that the sensor wires connect to?

catlady13

I have built about 10 or 12 computers before which leaves me far from competent.. but I do have an idea what those tiny pin out things look like and this ain't them.. LOL

The temperature sensors normally connect to the device you want to sense with a piece of small thermal tape that is generally attched to or with the sensors.

catlady13 said:
He told me IBM boards are senstive to how they are jumpered and like to be cable select so I am about to do that now.
If you are going to use cable select be sure that you use 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cables rather than 40 pin 40 IDE conductor cables. If the board is a retail board it should have come with 40/80 IDE cables + a SATA cable.

Although many people use cable select I personally still prefer to use master and slave on optical drives with the writer being the master and the ROM being the slave. This is just a personal preference.

The 865PERL board has 2 SATA controllers are you using a SATA hard drive or an IDE hard drive? :)

catlady13

HI , for now I am using an IDE hard drive. I plan to get a SATA drive later. I got two round cables that are 40 pin 80 wire and it wouldn't find either the hard drive OR the rom drive while jumpered to single master or master . I usually put the hard drive and rom drive on a separate IDE .
So far everything is up and running properly and I found the tape. I don't want to take the heat sink off of the cpu .. is an Intel P4 3.0 ghz... cause even if I do I don't think there is anywhere to put it on an Intel cpu. I know there is a difference on an AMD cpu. So any ideas where I could put that one? And the hdd sensor would go where on the hard drive or does it matter ? I would assume the one marked system could go almost anywhere in the case? Thank you so much again. I am SO happy this thing has purrrrrty lights all up the front and window panel. When I can afford it I want to get some dual channel ram so I can get this thing up to speed. Is Corsair poor ram? I've never had a hard drive before that would run dual channel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts