1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Catalyst 10.3 drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenderjaguar, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

They came out a few days ago. But I've noticed that the ATI overdrive is quite a bit different. The 10.2 drivers allowed the GPU to automatically step down to 600MHz from 750MHz, when idle. The memory could be run as low as 450MHz (though it had to be switch manually), and the gauge would report ice cold temperatures at idle. This is a 4870 I'm talking about, and underclocking the ram was almost like turning the card into a 4850 at the flick of a switch. Great for when you're not using the video card much. And some games will obviously run at 60fps with the memory underclocked like that anyway. It was pretty cool, even though you had to switch it manually.

Anyway, I notice in the 10.3 catalyst, that the GPU won't go lower than 750MHz, even at idle (even though you can set the slider as low as 600MHz). And the Memory is the same, in that it won't go any lower than 900MHz.

Anyone else noticed this at all?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice