1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CD-RW drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trag, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

I got a new CDRW drive to replace my old one, which broke. The new drive reads cds fine, but the computer says it can't detect secondary hard drive 1 when I boot it up. I have tried using setup but had no luck. I also tried burning a CD with the drive. I used a Fujifilm CD-R from radioshack, but towards the end the drive made some weird noises. The computer said there was an error with the disk and it might be made unreadible. After that the drive kept spinning but it said there was no disk in the drive, and it took alwhile to eject. Any help would be appreciated.
    I am running a dell dimension 4500s with 256mb of ram and a 1.7 ghz processor.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like a jumpering issue, the CD-RW drive is stepping on the hard disk. Did you set the jumpering on the new drive the same as the one you removed? Did you check the cable connections again?

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

Definately double check your jumper settings like johnwill has stated. Your hard drive is jumpered as the master and your new cdrw should be jumpered as the slave.

4. slipe

slipe

I think you have separate problems. If the burner will read CDs and do most of a burn there isn’t likely a jumper problem with the burner causing just the end of the burn to go bad.

Look at the Fuji package and make sure the burning isn’t taking place at a higher speed than the CDs are rated for. Some burners allow you to bypass their test and burn at a speed too high for the media. Fuji is usually one of the few brands you can trust anymore, so I doubt the media is the problem as long as you are not burning faster than it is rated.

You might update the firmware for the burner and update the software. That often solves glitchy little problems.

Give us some details on the second HD. Is it slave to your boot drive on the primary? If it hasn’t been moved or the burner wasn’t hooked to the same channel try reseating the connectors. If you did change something on the same channel as your second hard drive check the jumpers as has been suggested. You might also have a look in device manager to make sure the busses are OK and check that everything is activated in BIOS.

5. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

I should have specified earlier, the problem is I don't have a second hard drive, and my CDRW drive isn't detected in the computer setup. Also, the fuji disk doesn't have a burn speed listed on it. Good idea about the jumper though, the last drive was set to Cable select, and the new one is set to Master. What is the cable select setting anyways?

Thanks

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Cable select allows the master/slave setting to be determined by the cable. Most 80 conductor cables put the master on the end, and the slave in the middle. Many 40 conductor cables don't properly set the master/slave, and so you should use discrete jumpering for them.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you referring to the bios here? Certainly it must be there if you are able to burn with it.......

8. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

If the bios is what I get when I press F2 as the computers starting up, than thatis what I'm talking about. It says in the bios that it is an unknown device. Should I try the cable select jumper since thats what the last drive was set to?

Thanks

9. ~Candy~

Sure you can try that, but in the bios can you set it to auto? Or user? I think at best it should say CDROM.....

10. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

No, its set to auto, but it only detects an unknown device.

Thanks

11. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

This is weird, The new drive is accepted by the computer every other time it boots up it seems. Any suggestions?

Thanks

12. ~Candy~

Is it on the same cable with anything else?

Does every other time entail a cold boot, reset, complete shutdown????

13. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

I don't know what you mean by on the same cable, but it is usually from a cold boot. If I just restart it or turn it off and back on, it doesn't do anything.

14. ~Candy~

I had a drive that did that once before too. From a cold boot it would not be seen, on a subsequent boot it could be. Never did figure out the problem but I did end up sending the drive back for replacement, since it was still under warranty.

By the same cable, I mean is it attached to the motherboard on it's own gray cable or with another device, like hard drive or another cdrom?

15. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

Its connected directly to the motherboard, but with the cable of the previous drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice