1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Comp freezes up, need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orbmonkey, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

I just got a p4 2.4ghz processor, a new motherboard, video card, 512mb of ddr ram, and case. Im using my old harddrive, sound card, cd/dvd rom and floppy.

I tried using my old OS, didnt work. So Im trying to install Windows XP(home edition) fresh. Problem is my comp keeps freezing up during windows setup while its loading. And its always at a different point. Sometimes it tricks me and goes for a bit, other times it freezes right away. I'm wondering if its my memory maybe? Or perhaps itssomething else.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. And if I have to run a test on my memory, which Ive never done before, how would i go about doing this (this is the only comp i have that can use DDR ram)

Thanks in advance

2. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

Just adding that there is no OS on this harddrive, its freezing during windows xp install setup.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Are your CPU and memory identified correctly by the BIOS on the summary screen during boot up? Are you using a standard IDE controller or a RAID controller to connect your hard drive? Is the memory indeed DDR and is the FSB set correctly to utilize it?

4. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

Are your CPU and memory identified correctly by the BIOS on the summary screen during boot up?
    -yes

Are you using a standard IDE controller or a RAID controller to connect your hard drive?
    -IDE

Is the memory indeed DDR and is the FSB set correctly to utilize it?
    It is ddr, im not sure what you mean by fsb (i dont have the terms down pat)

5. Rockn

Rockn

What flavor of DDR is it? PC2100, PC2300, PC2700 or PC3200

I suspect the memory is the root of all this evil. FSB = Front Side Bus

6. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

pc 2100 and yes it is :)

I put it in a different slot and it started smoking... so im returning the memory and motherboard.

Now im even more confused ;P

7. Rockn

Rockn

If you put it in and it started smoking you either put it in backwards or didn't have it seated properly. There is also a very good possibility that you have damaged the motherboard or other components. I don't think you can use PC2100 on a 400MHz bus if that is what you are trying to do. The FSB has to be at 133 and adjust the CPU multiplier accordingly. What is the make and model of your motherboard

8. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

Im thinking It wasnt seated properly, I tend to get impatient when im annoyed.

I returned the motherboard, they wouldny take the memory back cause they cant return it to the manufacturer ifits burned. They did give me another stick for 60 bucks so atleast, they were helpful about it.

Thanks all for your help. if I screw this up again, then im probably too stupid for computers anymore, andill just throw it in the trash or use it as a chair or something.

9. orbmonkey

orbmonkey Thread Starter

The one i have now is an asus p4b533 the one i had a ecs eliteboard or something like that, I never heard of it, it was cheap ;P

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice