New Comp not up to par

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gtard*10^kp

i originally had these specs:
1.6 Ghz AMD Athalon XP
dont remember stuff about the motherboard, it was nice i guess.
512 MB Ram
100 GB FAT32, for backupfiles
120 GB NTFS *edit*(glad i changed that, god i sound ignorant)** for main proccessing
128 MB ATI All-in-wonder
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

and it was running kinda slow for some of the rendering i was doing and it happened to be near my bday/highschool graduation/eagle scout days so i got some new parts. i kept a stick of ram and the harddrives and sound card and stuff and got these new parts:
2.9 Ghz Intel Celeron
New motherboard sorry, dont know much about that one either
*edit* http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1227617&CatId=0
thats the mobo and cpu i got
another 512 stick of ram totalling 1gb
256MB GeForce somthing or other
and a wintvgo capture card
with a new PS and Case

i set up windows the same way, put it to performance mode (all boxes unchecked but show contents of window while dragging) i have no spyware running, no viruses (acording to adaware and norton) but its just running slow. it takes about a minute and a half from the end of the bios booting, to the start of user intervention in windows (putting in password to log on) then it takes about 2 min for the harddrive to stop spinning and for me to actually use my computer. This seems very odd considering the (blank)hundred dollars i spent on this stuff.
anyway, all drivers are up to date except for a few minor details:
the geforce is not up to date cause the latest patch they put out is crap and made more stuff not work than work better
and i cant get SP2 because of a certain validity of my XP
but everything else is tip top so far as i can see.
thanks for any help that you guys can dish out.
-gtard

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
So did you do a clean installation (format and install) of Windows XP when you got the new motherboard? If not then thats your problem.

You should also make sure the BIOS is setup right. For example that the CPU speed is correctly set up, that UDMA access is enabled for the drives, etc.

Also, I would urge you to go out and buy a legal copy of Windows and then you'll be able to download the service packs. Windows XP does in fact work better when you have all the Windows updates installed.

Additionally a Celeron is considered a budget CPU. A 1.6 Ghz AMD Athlon wouldn't be too much slower then a 2.9Ghz Celeron. 1.6Ghz makes the AMD something like an XP2000+ which is designed to compete with the stronger Pentium 4 at 2Ghz.

gtard*10^kp

ya, i did a clean install, no i dont have another 300 bucks for a copy of windows, i owned one once then i reinstalled and it wouldnt work, too many installs so i went back to being bad. i was afreaid of the celeron thing, i dont know what i was thinking going for that when i was happy with my amd. thats exactly what i had, an xp2000+
so do you think i should go back to my old moboand cpu? you think it would be better?
my bios is fine and i didnt have SP2 on my old version either =/ frankly, with twice the ram i would think that even if i downgraded my cpu speed it would still perform better, not worse. anyway, if its just the fact that i got a crappy cpu i might look into getting a new one, back to amd
thanks for the help
-gtard

gtard*10^kp said:
ya, i did a clean install, no i dont have another 300 bucks for a copy of windows, i owned one once then i reinstalled and it wouldnt work, too many installs so i went back to being bad. i was afreaid of the celeron thing, i dont know what i was thinking going for that when i was happy with my amd. thats exactly what i had, an xp2000+
so do you think i should go back to my old moboand cpu? you think it would be better?
my bios is fine and i didnt have SP2 on my old version either =/ frankly, with twice the ram i would think that even if i downgraded my cpu speed it would still perform better, not worse. anyway, if its just the fact that i got a crappy cpu i might look into getting a new one, back to amd
thanks for the help
-gtard
XP doesnt cost $300, not in the usa anyway. your thread will probably be closed unless you get yourself legal, if you had a legal copy i fail to see why your not using it :rolleyes: a call to MS usually straightens out the problem your descibing, not preaching its just part of the TSG rules.

gtard*10^kp

the reason im not using the copy i had is because i "had" it. i dont know where it is, might be in my dads work, anyway. it would be odd to close this thread because i never said it was an illegal copy, i just said the validity was causing problems, which it was. and i actually got it going a bit faster, at least so far as i can see. i just defraged for the first time ever. it seems to be running more smooth now. that might have been the problem in the first place oh well
-gtard

ok, what do u use this computer for????

and also, if you want your computer to run faster, you don't need a faster processor, my laptop has a celeron witha 2.6 ghz processor and loads to working mode in like a minute. All you got to do is go to mycomputer>right click properties on the harddrive>select the tab that says tools>go error checkin>check both boxes>restart computer when prompted. thisell get rid of all your bugs.

gtard*10^kp said:
ya, i did a clean install, no i dont have another 300 bucks for a copy of windows, i owned one once then i reinstalled and it wouldnt work, too many installs so i went back to being bad.
When you say things like this that sounds a lot like your using an illegal copy of software, so for you to say i never said it was illegal, i'd would say, yeah you did, what does went back to being bad mean?, Like i said its well worth it for you to get a legal copy of XP, you also mentioned that it may be at your dads work, not that you need to answer, please dont, but if your using your dads work copy on your machine, that is illegal, maybe you shouldnt give so much info :rolleyes:

as far as thread closing, thats up to the moderators, but they can be a bit touchy about the use of pirate software, or illegal copies, etc., their call

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online