New Comp really hot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Does your 7600GS have a fan on it?
What do you have for case fans?

You should have a front or side intake and a rear exhaust. A pair of 80mm or 120mm should keep that system well under control.

I don't have any idea what temp an I/O controller hub should run. I've never seen one monitored, to be honest with you.

SOFwhitewolf

well yes i ahve an intake and an output, but belive it or not, i am still in the process of switching items for my old comp and i took out my dvd burner and put it in this new one and booted up and now fro some strange reason its staying at 48 c ......ya beats me ill post back and let ya know if the high temps return

I think your OK. The screen print you thumbed was fine for all the other temps. I hadn't seen that controller temp before either which is why I went to the horses mouth so to speak, Intel.

SOFwhitewolf said:
well yes i ahve an intake and an output, but belive it or not, i am still in the process of switching items for my old comp and i took out my dvd burner and put it in this new one and booted up and now fro some strange reason its staying at 48 c ......ya beats me ill post back and let ya know if the high temps return
SOFwhitewolf said:
ya rebooted and now its back to the 80c temps lol i dont know whats going on
Due to the erratic change in temperatures by changing a DVD burner I would update the BIOS to revision 1618 as a first step if you haven't updated the BIOS. If you update the BIOS use the Intel Express BIOS update.

Here is a list of trouble shooting procedures that you may want to read;

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012552.htm

I looked at the case you are using and IMO the thermal design of that particular case leaves something to be desired. It appeared to me that with a 120mm exhaust fan and an 80mm side fan that appeared to be located fairly high on the side that this arrangement would not supply good airflow over the Southbridge.

If a BIOS update doesn't alleviate the problem, then I would remove the side and point a desk fan to the Southbridge area and see if the temperatures decrease. If the temperatures decrease significantly with a desk fan blowing air to the Southbridge then I would believe that the igh temperatures are caused by case thermal design.

Southbridges don't usually have heatsink mounting holes around them but you could still attach a heatsink to it using a thermal glue as is commonly used to attach heatsinks to the RAM on graphics cards. That would alleviate the problem a fair deal as the heat would have to distribute throughout the heatsink, I'd estimate a drop in temperature by atleast a third, more if cool air is directed past it.

Howdy, as you've learned there are good folks on the job. The only other thing I could add would be that when changing the optical drive you may have reduced the airflow with it's cable. How is your cable layout by the way, all nicely combined and kept together with tie wraps? All loose or unused cables tucked out of the way? In looking at that board's layout and the relatively odd way the case is compartmentalized if win2kpro's ideas don't work, I'd consider unplugging the side fan and installing a front intake 120mm fan so that air is forced to come through the entire setup and out the back.

Opinions differ wildly here, no right or wrong, but I'm not a huge believer in side fans. I believe they can do as much harm as good creating dead zones in the air movement.

I agree--I've had far better luck with a front and rear setup.

Opinions differ on this as well, but I've always been told and believe it's true that if your system is stable, your temps are fine. All kinds of wild things happen when you have temperature issues.

One other thing for you to check--since you have wildly fluctuating temperatures, give your heat sink and fan assembly one more look and make sure it's fully engaged to the motherboard. Those 775 HSF's can be a little tricky.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online