1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kirsten7767, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirsten7767

Kirsten7767 Thread Starter

going to buy a new computer... lets just say, my crappy HP that likes to fall apart a lot has made me accustomed to fast computing.

What Im looking for:
    Laptop (i dont have much room for a desktop, but id be willing to try and swing it)

something I can game on for many hours at a time, without it deciding to burst into flames.
    something with a decent screen size (i currently run with a 16 inch display)
    something that can handle adobe creative suite easily, as I sort of do arts for school and money.
    something durable enough to get back and forth from school on a bidaily basis without crapping out.
    I want it to last longer than my HP Pavillion DV2700 (about a year and three quarters)

I take fairly decent care of my computers, I mean all mobile laptops are subject to wear and tear and what not.

I do not think I want another HP, not an hp laptop at least.
    I do not want an Acer, I have one of their desktops, it has a lot of issues with user accounts and remembering things.
    Ive never owned a Dell, and I don't think I want to.

I was originally drooling over some ThinkPad's but a friend of mine was like 'no lenovos D:<" and he uses computers like I use computers.

My budget:
    I will be receiving 1000 dollars at the end of April. I have about 200 on hand. with another large sum happening around my birthday. so the budget will sit at about 1200~1600 give or take. I would like to order/pick-up a new laptop by the end of may/early june.

I would like to send the HP in for repair shortly as I would like to at least like to use the last of that warranty to fix up my one machine so I have a contingency plan in case of issue.

Brand Loyalties:
    dont have many, I trust sony, toshiba, and mac. but the inability to enjoy mmorpg's or any other type of game other than a very very limited supply, or the inability to use PaintTool Sai, makes me not want a mac...
    I am open to brand suggestion, as well as reevaluating what i would like.

2. whitekingle

whitekingle

According to your information, you can order directly on HP, Apple or Toshiba online store. It will be much more reliable. If you buy it in other places, you are easy to buy counterfeit goods

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. Compiler

Compiler

Lenovo has modernized why keeping the quality standards still rather high on their higher end notebooks.

ThinkPads don't really come with gaming cards... their business models do have gaming abilities in low-details... but the price can easily hit $1200~1400. Here is the feature set for their T-Series:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...91A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED&tabname=Features

They also have a modern non-rugged IdeaPads series for about $700~900:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=C46D71ACFD7C4475B8E490358F8CA8C3
    (this page has a gallery and features pages)
    Click on Y560 on the far right - there is a $950 and a $1050 models, I'd go with the $1050.
    These will give you very good gaming abilities.

Pretty much ALL notebooks are made in China... Lenovo has very good support and design very good notebooks. I've ordered a $1000 T model with basic graphics - but its for business.
    They use the same Power supplies and connectors for many years and are on the upper end for quality.

In the end, a gaming desktop is best for games.

Lenovo usually ships their computers in 4~9 days, depending on model & config, and its free.

5. whitekingle

whitekingle

I have used Lenovo laptop for 1 year. As a chinese laptop computer, it is hard to beat the quality. But I like Dell much better.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice