Solved New computer assembled. Now what do I do?

lonewolf78

System:

PSU- Super Flower Leadex 3 850W 80 gold
CPU- Ryzen 5 3600XT
MB- Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU- AMD Radeon RX-5700XT
HDD's
Main: Gigabyte NVMe 1.3/M.2/PCIe 3.0x4/ 1TB SSD
Storage: Crucial BX-500 2TB SSD NAND SATA 3 2.5"
HSF- Wraith Prism
RAM- GSkill Ripjaws 32GB (16GB x2.) Will be bumped up to the max 64GB (16GB x4)
OS- Windows 10 home

So I'm ready to start setting it up (BIOS is taken care of except for the things below), but not sure where to start.

First the motherboard came with a CD, and the instructions don't say what it's for. Is it something I install before the OS? And should I format both hard drives before using them (can it be done from the BIOS screen)? One is new (the SATA), the other was used lightly for a couple months and IDK if it was wiped before they sold it.

The main HDD will be the NVMe which I'll use for the system and games, so the boot order would be CD first then that one. Do I put the storage HDD #3 in line?

The Windows 10 I bought is on a USB drive (yes full version). How do I get the system to recognize it when I go to install?

Anything else I should do for the initial setup? And how fast will my system be?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
THIS is the support site for your Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.

The AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Matisse) processor is supported and requires BIOS version F51 or newer.

THIS is the RAM support list for your processor.

THIS is the user manual for your motherboard.

These are the performance ratings and power usages for your processor and graphics card:
cpu.JPG gpu.JPG
(click each image to enlarge and view)

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not a system builder or hardware expert, so be patient until someone else here who is replies to you.

Good luck. (y)

------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

crjdriver

Here is what I do when first pw ON a new build;
1 Enter the bios and set time/date
2 Check the hardware monitor part of the bios for temps
3 If everything looks good, restart with your install usb in one of the usb ports
4 On a gigabyte board, F12 will bring up the quick boot menu; choose your usb flash drive [probably partition 1 if that is displayed]
5 Complete the install then install drivers in this order; chipset/motherboard driver, sound, nic/lan, then video driver. Reboot each time as necessary

The main HDD will be the NVMe
Have just that drive installed when you are installing windows. Once done with the install, then you can connect any other drives.
The support disk you received has driver, utilities and probably some other stuff as well however I would not use that disk. Those drivers and utilities are almost always out of date. Go to the support site for your motherboard and download the latest drivers.

Are you sure your motherboard has a late enough bios to run that processor?

crjdriver

I just checked and unless you had the bios updated for you, there is no way that board shipped with a bios that supports your processor.

I should have included that prior to doing any install, I go to the support page and download the drivers and utilities I am going to need. Next download whatever utilities you normally use ie ccleaner, irfanview, etc. Place all of these along with your video driver on an external drive, flash drive, etc.

When you have all of the drivers, utilities, etc in one place, it makes any install go much faster.

Last edited:

lonewolf78

I just checked and unless you had the bios updated for you, there is no way that board shipped with a bios that supports your processor.

I should have included that prior to doing any install, I go to the support page and download the drivers and utilities I am going to need. Next download whatever utilities you normally use ie ccleaner, irfanview, etc. Place all of these along with your video driver on an external drive, flash drive, etc.

When you have all of the drivers, utilities, etc in one place, it makes any install go much faster.
Gigabyte's site says it supports it, and the box says "Ryzen 3000 desktop ready". The BIOS version is F50, and the 3000's have been supported since F40 except the 3600XT which is F51. GB has 2 updates: F51 and F60c. Do I get both, how do I do it? USB?
And for the 2nd hard drive, it's currently disabled in BIOS from boot. Would that be good enough or do I need to unhook the SATA cable?

Oh and currently at idle the CPU temp is 29c.

crjdriver

First and foremost, read the procedure for updating the bios. When you are sure you understand, use Qflash to update the bios.

lonewolf78

BIOS updated. What should the high temperature alarms be set to? There's 5:
CPU
chipset
VSOC MOS
system 1
VRM MOS

crjdriver

Does it have an auto setting?
For the cpu 80~85 would be fine. The rest, I would not worry too much about now. The chipset on a 4xx series board runs pretty cool [unlike the X570 boards] Unless you are hard core overclocking, the pw regulation ie VRM or Mosfet is not going to overheat.

You should be ready to install windows. Again be sure and have only the M.2 drive installed when you do the windows install. Connect any others after you finish the install.

lonewolf78

It's underway, but as I figured, when I got to the screen on Windows that says which setup you want, it gave me "upgrade" and "custom" install options, the first one seems to indicate the hard drive already has Windows on it (it was a used one). What to do next?

And which drivers, etc for the motherboard should I get? Just the latest of each?

crjdriver

Custom and delete ALL partitions on the drive.
Just wondering, is your motherboard used or open box?

lonewolf78

Custom and delete ALL partitions on the drive.
Just wondering, is your motherboard used or open box?
Brand new. Now that I'm in the custom settings, do I delete or format the drive? It's saying there's 954GB of unallocated space (AKA the whole drive).

crjdriver

You do not format; setup will partition and format as necessary. If the complete drive is unallocated, just choose that to install windows.
I will be OFF for the rest of the night. Good luck.

Couriant

James
Looks like you are in good hands, but to answer the question that seems to be missed, the CD is usually the base drivers for the motherboard.

FWIW that's exacty how I do new builds with M.2 I do not have any other drive attached when installing the OS - that's how you want to do it. After the OS is installed then attach your other drives. CJD is right usually the drivers on a CD are woefully outdated, not to mention that most systems nowadays are done without an optical so you'll want to simply go the the manufacturers website for the model mobo you are using and get the latest as was suggested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online