Solved New computer assembled. Now what do I do?

crjdriver

I was in a hurry last night. The actual reason why you want only the M.2 drive installed is that win10 setup will install to whatever drive you choose however setup will install the boot files to the root of the drive connected to the first sata port ie sata 1 or 0 depending on how the motherboard mfg numbers ports. With just the M.2 drive connected, setup has no choice and must install all files to the system drive.

This in and of itself is not a problem until you remove the sata drive. Now your system will not boot. While this is repairable, it does require a reasonably high level of skill. Better to alleviate the problem before it exists.

Glad you were able to get it up and running. Most [however not all] of the time your memory will default to 2133 speed. You will need to either enable xmp in the bios OR set speed, timings, and voltage manually.
IMO xmp does not work all that well on the AMD side; on intels, it works fine. What I do is set the ram speed manually along with the required voltage [usually 1.35V] save settings then test for stability with memtest.

lonewolf78

Well I ran the game DCS World for a short time (the main reason for getting the computer), and both the CPU and GC fans kicked into overdrive. CPU temp was hovering around 75c with a peak of 83 (triggering the high temp alarm), and my graphics card core was hovering around 90c with the hotspot around 110 (hit 113 at one point). How do those temps sound?

crjdriver

Those are pretty warm. What kind of cooling ie are you using the wraith cooler? Those are actually pretty good for a stock cooler. What about case cooling? AND cable management? Is there good airflow around the video card and good airflow through the case?

Generally you need at least one case fan exhausting air from the case; either 120mm or 140mm along with the cpu cooler and pw supply fan.

You do not by chance have this case inside a desk do you?

lonewolf78

Those are pretty warm. What kind of cooling ie are you using the wraith cooler? Those are actually pretty good for a stock cooler. What about case cooling? AND cable management? Is there good airflow around the video card and good airflow through the case?

Generally you need at least one case fan exhausting air from the case; either 120mm or 140mm along with the cpu cooler and pw supply fan.

You do not by chance have this case inside a desk do you?
Yes a wraith prism (that was packaged with a ryzen 9) instead of the wraith stealth that came with it. I have 2 120mm fans, one drawing in (front) and one blowing out (rear), and cable management is as best as it can be with that small of a case. The GPU fans are on the underside of the card. Power supply one draws air from underneath the case.
And right now it's sitting out in the open on a hard floor as I haven't moved my old desktop off my desk yet.

crjdriver

Read through your manual and see if you have an option called PBO [precision boost overdrive] If you do, disable it and again test your temps.

crjdriver

I just looked and it appears gigabyte calls this core performance boost. Set to disable and be sure cool&quiet is enabled.

crjdriver

One last item. Did the cooler have a thermal pad on it OR did you apply thermal compound?

lonewolf78

Read through your manual and see if you have an option called PBO [precision boost overdrive] If you do, disable it and again test your temps.
It was already off.
And the cooler had a thermal pad, but I removed and replaced it with arctic silver.

crjdriver

Those are pretty much normal.
When you stress the processor, does the cpu fan come up to full speed?

crjdriver

OK, if the cpu fan is coming up to full speed, the only thing you can do IF you want more cooling is to invest in either a better air cooler OR go liquid cooling.
I notice you said you removed the thermal pad and used arctic silver. If you did not clean the cooler completely OR used too much compound, those will also cause high temps.

FWIW I use a corsair H115i pro and it is just about silent unless running a stress test. Here is a screenshot after running a game a few min before.

Attachments

lonewolf78

Well I just tried the game again, and the CPU is hovering around 58, GP core 88 and hot spot 110. CPU fan isn't running full speed now (I downloaded an update program for AMD and it did some updates, maybe that had something to do with it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online