Solved New computer assembled. Now what do I do?

crjdriver

One other item. Use ryzen master to monitor processor temp. It is going to give you the most accurate info. If the gigabyte monitoring program ie system info viewer is not a real recent release, it can have problems with showing newer processor temps.

Note ryzen master is also an overclocking program. Do not make any changes; just use the monitoring part of the program.

lonewolf78

I'm using Open Hardware Monitor. I think when I updated the driver it included that. I'll check.

Have another problem now. I set the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes, and it worked a couple times, but after all of the restarts for updates it won't do it now. Can't get a screensaver to work either.

lonewolf78

Well I think something just happened to it. I was playing the game when there was a sound from the buzzer and the screen went blank. Tried resetting it and the fans spin up, but the screen won't come on because the monitor can't detect a signal. There's no beep to indicate it's booting up either. The BIOS screen won't even come up. One video I saw suggested the motherboard may have croaked (I hope that's the case and it wasn't the graphics card).

Last edited:

crjdriver

One video I saw suggested the motherboard may have croaked (I hope that's the case and it wasn't the graphics card).
It is possible that either one [or another part] failed. Generally [however not always] an electronic component will fail during the first few hr. After that, they usually last for quite a while. The only way you are going to be able to tell is to swap in a known working video card. If the board will POST, then you know the video card has failed. If it does not POST, Connect a known good pw supply and repeat the test. Still no POST, you are down to the motherboard or processor.

Note when you connect the test pw supply, all you need to do is connect atx, aux/cpu, and video pw. No need to connect anything else. Hit the ON button and see if the board will POST.

Last edited:

lonewolf78

I don't have another video card to test. unless one I got (and never installed) for my old desktop several years ago would work (MSI Afterburner GeForce 210). And if it came to that,I don't have another CPU.

crjdriver

That card should work with your motherboard. It will not give you great video however it should work AND no pw connection needed.

lonewolf78

Well I installed it, and it worked, which means my (brand new) $387 graphics card croaked.😞 Can they be repaired or do I have to get another (and what Radeon GC would be comparable to a GeForce 1080?).

crjdriver

which means my (brand new) $387 graphics card croaked
The card has a warranty [as long as you register the card] First check with the card mfg ie asus, gigabyte or whomever mfg the card. Most warranties are 2 to 3yr so it should not really be an issue.

Last edited:

lonewolf78

Now that's weird. My CPU's temp is hovering around 53c at idle with only 1 core running at 50%. Before it was in the 30's. Is it because of the smaller graphics card?

lonewolf78

MSI is repairing my card, but it could be after the end of the year before it's back, so here's a pic' of my computer showing the space the card takes up and airflow. The drive cage is blocking the intake fan on the front a bit, so I'm wondering if cutting out all but the part the SSD is on would help? Other than that the only other way to improve flow would be cutting a hole in the top of the case and putting a 2nd exhaust fan in.

Attachments

crjdriver

What does ryzen master show for temps?
Note ryzen master is also an overclocking program so do not make any changes; just use the monitor part of the program.

lonewolf78

That reading came from Open Hardware Monitor (which is what I've been using). Haven't turned the computer on in awhile since all I can do is browse the net with it, which my laptop can do.

lonewolf78

What does ryzen master show for temps?
Note ryzen master is also an overclocking program so do not make any changes; just use the monitor part of the program.
Well both Ryzen master and OHM are showing the temperature hovering around 50c with just a browser open.
My graphics card is on the way back so hopefully I'll have it installed by the end of the year.

But while talking to someone on the forum for the game I was playing, they suggested the card cooked itself because there wasn't enough airflow, and I think I agree, so I'm looking at getting a Cougar MX330-g case which is larger (and would allow me to get a bigger graphics card) and max it out with 5 fans (2 intake front, 2 top and 1 rear exhaust).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts