1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer boots up but no display on new Monitor with no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lucky11, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucky11

lucky11 Thread Starter

I ordered and today received a new Gateway DX4831 07 Window 7 Desktop Computer and a new FHX2300 23 inch Gateway Monitor. I connected the monitor and computer in accordance (I used the HDMI cable connection between the computer and the monitor) with the included documentation double checked the connections and then turned on the monitor first and then powered up the computer. The monitor displays Gateway for a second or two and then after about 10 seconds it quickly displays no signal before going completely black. Upon turning on the computer, it beeps once and then after about a minute I hear a whirring sound as if the hard drive is turning. After that, the computer is very quiet (as I have read in reviews that it should be), but the monitor remains black no matter how long I leave the computer on. This is the second Gateway DX4831 07 I have ordered/received in the last two weeks. The first one did the same thing and I sent it back and reordered the same model hoping the second one would work. I really want to keep this computer rather than send it back a second time since it is full of features for the price. Gateway’s support is virtually nonexistent so this is not a reasonable option. All I can do is return it for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Can you tell what the problem is likely to be and how I can solve it so that I can keep this computer. I’ve read in some of the online reviews that opening up the case won’t like void the warranty but I have not dared to attempt this.

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi lucky!

It sounds like the monitor may not be set up to recognize the HDMI connection. Are there any other cables that came with the monitor? There may be a DVI (it should have white connectors) or a VGA (blue connectors). You could try connecting the monitor using one of these cables.

You may be able to adjust the monitor to use the HDMI input (similar to how you would adjust your TV to switch between a DVD player and the cable box). There should be a "menu" button on the front of your monitor and, once in the menu, perhaps an option that will allow you to change the input settings. If you have the manual that came with your monitor, it should provide instructions on how to do this.

3. lucky11

lucky11 Thread Starter

Digitalsatori, I followed the monitor documentation using the various connections but still the monitor displays only a "no signal" when connected to the Gateway DX4831 07. I connected my Dell 600 Laptop to the Gateway Monitor using the VGA connection and hit Fn/F8 and like magic I had the laptop display on the Gateway monitor. This means the Gateway DX4831 07 computer is the culprit yet again which is extremely disappointing. Do you know what the problem could be this time? As I mentioned the computer beeps once and sounds as if it is booting and starting the hardrive after I press the on button. Maybe I need to stay away from Gateway and try another brand.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Gateway Computers Generally are not Higher end Computers, I would take advantage of the Return for Refund options and go with something a little better.

5. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi lucky,

If the computer beeps and seems to be starting up, I am hesitant to say there is a problem with the computer. It is also possible that the computer is not configured to use the HDMI connection. Do you have any other ports on the back of the computer that you can connect any of the monitor cables in to? Unless HDMI is the only option available, you may have to connect the monitor using DVI or VGA first, then adjust the display settings to activate the HDMI signal. You can generally find this under Display properties in your Control Panel, once you are able to get the computer started up.

6. lucky11

lucky11 Thread Starter

There are usb ports and I tried them as well but still no display. A friend told me today that it is probably a defective graphics card. As such I am returning the computer to the seller and looking elsewhere for a computer. Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice