1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New Computer build, boot issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Conweezy, Oct 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

Hey guys,

For starters, I'm using an ASUS Prime X570-P and when I turned my computer on I was greeted by my BIOS. My BIOS could detect my 2 hard drives as well as my Blueray drive (which is compatible with DVDs and CDs) but it could not detect any drives to boot from. It could detect that my Blueray drive had a disc loaded and even reflected the correct amount of data on the disc, but I could not boot from it to install windows.

I did some googling and took some advice to enable Compatibility Support Mode on my BIOS. After doing this, now I'm greeted by the ASUS splash telling me to hit F2 or Del to get into BIOS config, and after that goes away, instead of going straight to my BIOS, it tells me Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. It tells me this with our without a disc on the drive. Pressing a key with my windows disc in the drive just causes it to generate the same message again.

I tried shuffling my SATA connectors around, and even trying different combinations, having only one plugged in at a time, having them all plugged in, havving one harddrive and my disc drive, nothing changes the message.

To add insult to injury, at the ASUS splash, hitting F2 or Delete will instantaneously skip the splash (reacting to the keystroke) but wont take me to my BIOS, it just takes me to this screen again.

I've tried resetting my CMOS by jumping CLRTC and even taking the battery out for a minute and putting it back in, only to no effect

I just finished making a flash drive with windows install on it, going to try that now, doubt I'll have any luck.

2. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

Just want to add, that Windows is installing from the Flash Drive. I still feel like I am going to have some issues moving forward though.

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

I'll just throw a few things out there. having built 4 Ryzen 3000 series systems now (not assuming yours is but since you are using an X570 mobo …). The main reason it may have asked for " Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" is likely because you installed your OS via UEFI mode (and that was proper) and thus, by enabling CSM you triggered legacy mode (sort of) and then seemingly now can't find your boot drive. This seems to be happening on Ryzen systems with 3000 series processors I had it happen once a few builds ago with Asus X470 Strix-F. I turned CSM back off, force enabled strict UEFI mode again, secure boot and all was well again. Regarding your optical not showing up and causing issues if you have a disk in the drive could be somewhat the same issue. I think when windows is installed in on mode (legacy or UEFI) with using UEFI Windows installer it doesn't like mode switches and oddly this seems to mostly affect new Ryzen systems updated to the initial 3000 series BIOS update on B350/b450/x470 and some x570 boards (which support 3000 by default). Not all boards in that range seem to be affected just "some" and it seems to depend also on a BIOS update to fully support 3000 series with AGESA 1.0.0.3 or better yet 1.0.0.4.

I'm not sure anything I said could actually help you just throwing a few thoughts out there for you. Best of luck getting things running the way you want I hope you get it sorted out.

4. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

So I was getting that message without an OS installed. I couldn't even get to the point of installing an OS, that was my trouble. However, that said, I've gotten around that problem and have my OS installed. Actually, my computer seems to be running just fine now with a couple exceptions. Right now, only my SSD is being detected by my BIOS, neither of my HDDs are. I'm about to reboot and see if I can't solve that issue though

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

Cool at least you're on your way, and by the way that does happen with new Ryzen systems where HDD's, sometimes an SSD isn't being detected in the BIOS. Reboot might do it, in fact maybe check for all windows updates, install new AMD chipset drivers, reboot 3-4 times, check Disk Management (windows) see if they are listed there. Maybe you'll have to create partitions/format, and mark as active in windows before they show up in your UEFI BIOS.

6. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

So right now my SSD (which has my OS installed on it) and my Blueray drive are the only drives that are drives that are being detected. On top of that, I cannot access my BIOS right now (still). When my computer starts, I am prompted to hit F2 or Delete to get into my UEFI BIOS. When I do that, nothing happens. I've tried holding it, nothing.

So my next step was to disconnect all of my SATA connections. This did bring me to my BIOS. When I got to my BIOS, I disabled CSM and restart (while it was shutdown I reconnected my SATA cables). With CSM disabled, I couldn't boot from any of my drives again, I was stuck only being able to boot into my BIOS. I think it's important to point out that in my UEFI BIOS under Storage Devices it shows all three (my SSD, one HHD, and my BRD) of my drives, but right next to Storage Device, for Boot Order, it tells me that it cannot find any drives to boot from. So I reenabled CSM and then I shut my computer down again. Booted it back up, tried for kicks and giggle to press delete and F2 (nothing happened) and windows booted right back up. Checked device manager, still just my SSD and BRD. Updated drivers for my Mobo, certainly that must be the issue. Restart my computer, pressed delete and F2 again, and again nothing. Windows started up, still only my SSD and BRD and that brings me to where I am now. I don't really know what troubleshooting there is left to do that is in my wheel house.

7. Blu_86

Blu_86

Hey again, setting up an Intel 9400f system next to me here. I suppose I would try disabling fast startup in Windows (through your power plans) and also try using 'only' USB 3 connectors for your keyboard and mouse see if that gets you into UEFI BIOS. I would try the USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports directly underneath your USB 2.0 ports. I Mean you're seeing the screen you just no dice when you press the keys.

8. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

yeah, no dice when I press the keys, but I see the screen telling me that that is what I need to press to get into the UEFI BIOS.

So even if my keyboard works regularly in the 2.0 slots, I should still try the 3.2 ports? I'll give it a shot..

edit: Also, I'm not familiar at all with what fast startup is or how to disable it. I'll google it if I need to, but I'm going to give the keyboard thing a shot

edit 2: Keyboard didn't work, neither did turning off fast startup. However, I unplugged that keyboard and plugged in literally the cheapest keyboard I could find, and that got me into my bios! I was pleasantly surprised to see that my BIOS now for the first time was showing my SSD and my BRD under the boot options!

That considered, I think I'm on to the last step of my problem. My HHD was still showing up under storage devices on my UEFI BIOS, but it still is not being detected by windows. Now, this very well could be my own doing, or lack of doing. I've never had multiple harddrives before, and I know that there could be some options that I need to address, but I really don't know what to do. I honestly couldn't tell you if my HHD is set to master or slave, or how to do that, and also I don't know if there are any sort of RAID options I need to adjust, or what. I really am clueless at this point

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  9. Blu_86

Blu_86

There is also a fast boot option in the BIOS itself not sure if you have enabled that it definitely causes the issue you talk about. I have that on my on Asrock board I had to disable it because … with all the changes that I had made with it enabled I would see the BIOS promt (same as yours F2 or DEL) and would fly past it even if I pressed DEL or F2 (but I knew that) so I used the app boot to UEFI, disabled it. My professional advice to you at this point would be to use your warranty and both email and or call Asus since your X570 has a warranty see what they have to say about your specific issues.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

so, when I disabled CSM, i get this message and I feel certain that this is the problem that I am having. And despite it telling me what to do, ... I don't know what it means

Attached Files:

11. Conweezy

Conweezy Thread Starter

I am going to mark this as solved.

I'm not sure if I took the best route or not, but I think I got it figured out good enough.

I ended up disabling RAID and using AECI or something, can't remember, and I went into computer management and was able to create new volumes in Windows. I think that's really all I had to do, I don't know. What is important though, is what I wanted (to have my two HDDs capable of storing storage on my computer) has been accomplished. Is it jenky? Probably. Does it work? Yup.

12. Blu_86

Blu_86

Not Jenky that's what I meant when I mentioned to go into computer management and check your HDD's there which would then enable them. It's AHCI in the BIOS you are talking about. Secure boot is the modern standard of enabling firmware checks that the boot loader is good with a cryptographic key authorized by a database contained in the firmware (BIOS). Glad you got it sorted.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice