1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer build, dead video - tried everything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DenBarrett, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenBarrett

DenBarrett Thread Starter

Hi, im new here, but after reading through many of the topics seems like a very cool forum.
    I am a bit of a computer geek myself, and have built, overclocked, modded, many custom systems, but now am building a system ( for my media computer) and this issue has me stumped.
    The problem i am having is i can not get any boot-up " Post" screen or any video output for that matter.
    First i will list the new main parts:

- Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard Socket AM3+
    - AMD FX-8150, 8- core processor (Zambezi/Bulldozer)
    -G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 RAM. (PC3-12800, 4 gig sticks)
    - Corsair HX620 PSU ( Also tried a new OCZ 850 watt PSU)
    - 2 - ATI Radeon HD6570 1GB PCIX16 video cards.
    - Segate Baracuda 150GB HDD
    - Bluray/DVD/RW drive

ok, i have tried both bench boot-up testing and in case testing (on cardboard, and using a grounded anti-static wristband as i always do)
    When the unit is powered up, (with what sounds like one low-pitched beep,)
    all fans, CPU cooler & Video card fans) spin up normally, the board powers up, DVD ROM blinks its usual test start up, HDD spins up, etc. but the Monitor just continues to go to sleep-mode, ( from green to orange light) and do not see any Bios Post screen, nothing at all.
    I have tried a single stick of RAM in each and every slot, (and tried both of the 4 gig sticks i have) tried three good different PCI Express video cards, ( two of them were brand new) tried two different power supplies, ( a CorsairHX620 and a new OCZ850) and all the power plugs were in place, including the CPU power connection)
    Also tried two good different LCD monitors, one on the VGA port of the video card, and then the other on the DVI port.)
    and even returned the Motherboard to the computer retailer, and exchanged it for another exact same new board,
    and i still have no luck with getting any video or Post screen
    Please help, as i am completely stummped on this one.... :(

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

According to the CPU support list on the Asus website, you need at least BIOS version 0705. It might be labeled on the motherboard or on the box it came in. If you have an older version you may need to temporarily install another CPU to flash the BIOS, then reinstall the FX-8150.

3. DenBarrett

DenBarrett Thread Starter

Hmmm, that could be possible. i will have to checks on that. The only problem is that i dont have an older AM3 AMD chip to swap into the MB to do the bios update.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice