Not open for further replies.

New computer built hard drive with scsi problem

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NSWCLB1 
#1 ·
:confused:
My first build: Via Kle-133 mb with Athlon 700 and 64 sdram
on board video and sound and 9gig Seagate Hard drive needing a scsi-2 thingy

My problem...
I power up and all things begin running and on the monitor it whizzes past the first screen that reports the "Award Modular BIOS v6.00pg, An Enery Star Ally etc...
Main Procecessor: AMD Athlon (TM) 700MHZ
Memory Testing:57344 ok + 8192k Shared Memory

Primary Master: None
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: Toshiba CD_ROM XM-5602B 1796
Secondary Slave: None

Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Then immediately a black screen which says
BusLogic Inc BIOS Version 4.94G
Intelligent Bus Master SCSI Host Adapter
(c) 1995 BusLogic Inc. All Rights Reserved

BusLogic PCI SCSI Host Adapter Firware Version 4.28D
Press <Ctrl-B> to Enter AUTO-SCSI

Which I do the <Ctrl-B> thing and it takes me to a configuration Utilities and Diagnostics program. I try to push the right buttons
Under Utilities and under SCSI Device Information it says
SCSI ID 3: SEAGATE SX910800N
SCSI ID 7: BusLogic BT-946C
(which makes no sense since the hd is a Seagate st410800N)
Under Verify Disk I get the same result

OK then I try the Format Disk option
and the same exact result box comes up with SEAGATE SX910800N highlighted... when I press enter, it asks: CONFIRM? yes or no, I highlight yes and enter and then.... a freeze.

Now if I reboot it will do the same thing every time.
If I ignor the Press <Ctrl-B> to Enter AUTO-SCSI thing, the puter will go to the BusLogic screen, wait for a few minutes and then go through some kind of report routine telling me what the cpu clock is and whats in the Diskette Drives
it will say in the middle: PCI device listing...
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor/Devic Class Device Class IRQ
7entries follow

then it will sit on this message:
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......(for a long time)
then it will boot up the floppy (which if I have a boot disk it will say: Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
1. Start computer with CD-Rom Support
2. Start computer without CD-Rom support.

enter a choice
if I choose 2 my puter will inform me:

This driver is provided by Oak Technology, Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM DEVICE DRIVER, Rev d91xv352
(c)Copyright Oak Technology, Inc. 1987-1997
Device Name: MSCD001
No drives found, aborting installlation

-->ERROR: CARD 0, PORT C800, UNABLE TO DETECT IRQ 11
AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI MANAGER FOR DOS
Version 3.68s
copyright 1990-1997 Adaptiec, Inc.

AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI MANAGER FOR DOS
Version 1.32s
copyright 1994-1997 Adaptiec, Inc.

PCI bus scan complete

then it goes into another scan and says
PCI bus scan complete

then it says:
ASPI CD-ROM Driver for DOS
Version 4.01s
Copyright 1990-1996 Adaptec, Inc.

Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'.
nO VALID cdrom DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED

and then I get the

A:\> prompt

if i type fdisk it tells me: No fixed disks present.
if i type format.com it say required parameter missing -

If I reboot and let the machine go through all of this and I get down to the
Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
1. Start computer with CD-Rom Support
2. Start computer without CD-Rom support.

enter a choice
screen

if I choose 1 my puter will give me the A:\> prompt again with the same results as above.

whew!!!!

Anyway, What did I do wrong, how can I fix it, why can't anything ever go right for me. why why oh why waaaaa!
Mr. Cat Poop

See less See more
G
#7 ·
Rikku- Here's some techno-babble (excerpts) and a pic. It boils down to each SCSI device must have an id and the ID must be unique. Since SCSI devices can be chained the ends of the chain (generally) must be terminated. If you need more go to Seagate's web-site and search on terminate.

Each device on the SCSI chain must have a unique SCSI ID, The host system’s SCSI controller usually uses the ID that has the highest priority interrupt in the SCSI I/O system. This is always ID7. ID0 is lowest priority in an 8-bit I/O system. ID8 is lowest priority in a 16-bit I/O system. The lower priority SCSI IDs are normally used for other SCSI devices.
Note. Most SCSI controllers (host adapters) allow you to skip a SCSI ID. For example, you can have ID0, ID1, and ID3 (skipping ID2). If, after completing the installation process, the drive’s LED does not show on/off activity when the host is trying to communicate with the drive, a duplicate SCSI ID may be the problem.

Drive termination
If you are installing a SCSI drive in a system that has other SCSI devices installed, terminate only the end devices on the SCSI chain. A SCSI “device” is any disc drive, scanner, tape backup unit, or other piece of hardware connected to your system using the SCSI bus. The top example in Figure 2 shows an internal hard disc at one end of the SCSI bus with the SCSI controller at the other end (both are terminated). The bottom example shows two additional SCSI devices connected externally—this means the SCSI controller is no longer on the end of the SCSI chain and should not be terminated.
Note. Some controllers prefer to remain terminated even if they are in the middle of the chain. Also, some controllers treat the internal and external chains as separate logical buses. This means you may need to terminate both the first and last devices on both logical buses to achieve proper termination.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.