1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer, can't use wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Refried1, Jun 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Refried1

Refried1 Thread Starter

I just purchased an ASUS 2-in-1 laptop, using Windows 10 Home, connects to local wifi but says no internet service. This internet requires a password via pop up login page. That page is not popping up for me to login. This computer has Microsoft explorer and Chrome. Neither will connect and open. When I look at the settings it says this is an open internet and I cannot change for password entry. How do I fix this? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  3. Refried1

Refried1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I am in an RV Park and it is the free WiFi they give us, it is not a neighbor. I have no problem connecting with my other computers and cell phones I also have no problem with this one connecting to my hotspot.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Given that it's Windows 10 I can't say this with much confidence, but it sounds like a firewall issue. You probably have Norton or McAfee or similar, and that would be my first suspect.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Has this computer connected successfully before ? Run a Windows Defender full scan. Download Malwarebytes on another computer and install it to do a scan.

6. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    I've seen problems with certain computer/router combos. I think this is probably the problem since your computer can connect to your hotspot. Since the router is managed by the park, the only thing you can control is the computer. Check for driver updates for the wireless adapter.

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It may well be as suggested by my colleague TerryNet a firewall issue that is stopping you using that service OR an AV issue that prevents connection to an unsecured network
    IMHO it is unlikely to be an issue that will be solved by scanning with Defender or Malwarebytes

Is still am of the opinion that because you cannot gain access to the password then either the site wireless does NOT require a password - in which case we are back to the AV Firewall issue OR if the site does require a password you have NOT found the site connection but some free OPEN unsecured network
    as here
    https://www.lifewire.com/is-it-safe-to-use-an-open-wireless-network-2378210

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Generally when you need to go to a login page on free wifi connections, the computer should redirect you. I find trying to go a website would trigger the page to show, like www.abc.com

But if it's going then I also agree that a firewall may be the issue here. Windows 10 does have Internet Explorer, you just need to search for it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice