1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer coming - Need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cleggy999, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cleggy999

Cleggy999 Thread Starter

So, I have had this computer for 3 years, it has been good but obviously games get better and computer must feed there needs.
    I had a:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ 2.2GHz Dual core - + Heat sink that covers it is damaged -Absolutely terrible. xD
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 Elixer (2GBX1)
    GPU: GeForce 9500GT 1028MB
    Mobo: Asus M2N4-SLI
    HDD: 149GB SATA-II - Max. Internal Data Rate 1460 Mbit/s - Rot. 7200 RPM
    Case: XBlade White + Blue LEDS - Terrible condition, Cracks and scratches missing parts. Don't ask...
    PSU: 350 - 450W - Can't remember sorry.

So, I am upgrading this build with:
    CPU: Xenon Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Dual Core
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 Crosair (4GBX1)
    GPU: Staying the same until 5th September 2013, Please leave suggestions with budget of £100-£150.
    Mobo: POSSIBLY the Asus P8H61-MX Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard or
    HDD: Staying the same.
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi White/Black or Blue
    PSU: Staying the same.

Do you think this is reasonable for 1 or 2 years? I am looking for an Intel Quad core after this with 8GB ram, and a new HDD.

Games I play:
    C:SS
    RS
    Silkroad
    Garry's Mod
    COD5
    COD4
    Minecraft

So, leave your suggestions please!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

I don't know how much real performance difference you will see as the new cpu is also a dual core. For RAM, you are better off using 2 sticks instead of 4, especially for only 4GB.

You should investigate your PSU. A quality unit is more important than the size, but the size of the current unit is no the small side.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067249