new computer connects to wireless network, rarely.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

owe

i have a new laptop, windows 7, HP touchsmart, it connects very rarely and i cant seem to predict when or why it will work. i know the internet is fine because it works on my other computer, and the HP works fine when it connects. it isnt a problem with the connection dropping out really, it just wont connect most of the time. once it connects its pretty good.

the computer is getting a strong wifi signal for the network, but when i try to connect it just says "windows could not connect to (network name)" and none of the windows diagnostic tools have any effect.

i dont know too many tricks to help here, expect maybe disable/enable the network device, and that dont work.

when i look online i see a dizzying array of troubleshooting roads to go down for network problems, but im hoping someone with experience can tell me the most likely problems, knowing that the internet is working, the signal is strong, but windows gives me that cryptic error nearly every time (but i sometimes can connect)... its as if the computer is moody, a successful connection will lead to more success, and a failure to connect will lead to a pattern of more failures.

it has norton internet security on it and i tried disabling the network and web stuff to no effect.

what kind of problem would likely explain this behavior? thanks!

TerryNet

Terry
Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver, from HP's web site if they have it for your system.

Does you ethernet connection work OK?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

Do you have any other 2.4 GHz devices (such as cordless phone or baby monitor)?

owe

thanks terrynet,

ok i installed latest driver from hp and removed norton (no noticeable change)

after more attempts today, i realize that the computer connects pretty reliably when im literally at the same table the router is sitting on. if there is the slightest obstacle, like i step behind a glass door that is 8 feet from the router, or go around a corner, the connection fails. its just ridiculously feeble, even though i see a solid signal picked up by the wireless card.

i dont think there are any cordless phones or such around.

im actually trying to hook up a computer in the next apartment, so theres no choice but to have a wall between the router and the computer. my other laptop that is about 4 years old connects perfectly right next to the new one that cant connect if there is a damn tissue in the way.

im attaching xirrus wifi inspector screenshots, one where im actually connected (its the top network) and one where i cant connect because i stepped around a corner. but you can see that the signal is still pretty strong.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
im actually trying to hook up a computer in the next apartment
Please explain.

Is the screen shot showing only two networks the connected or not connected case?

owe

the screen shot with 2 networks is where it is connected. the other one you can see the signal is slightly weaker, and i cant connect there.

im trying to connect the computer so that someone in the apartment above me can use it. there is about 10 feet between the top of his dining room table and mine, but there is a floor/ceiling between the 2 spots. the router rests on my table, and i can connect there, but upstairs on his i see a strong connection but i cant connect. within my own apartment if a step behind the glass door into my bedroom, the connection breaks. if i walk around a wall the connection breaks. this ONLY HAPPENS with the new computer. my other laptop connects without any problem in all of these locations. so whatever the problem is, its specific to this particular laptop.

i dont understand how the old one can connect so easily and not the new one. nor do i understand why a door between the router and the computer should apparently allow a strong signal to get through, but i cant USE the signal or get it to connect. thats where im confused. why would a signal that looks strong, and works on another machine, fail to work?

is there such a thing as a connection that needs 5/5 bars, and if you only have 4/5 you cant connect?

TerryNet

Terry
While they aren't very strong perhaps the channel 2 or other channel 6 signal is/are interfering. Maybe the antenna is stronger than on the older computer and it is picking up, say, a neighbor's 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

Anyhow, residential internet service is for the household so it seems you are trying to violate your terms of service by letting somebody in another apartment use it. That violates our rules, so I need to close the thread. If you can PM me something to show that your intended use is permitted by your ISP I will be happy to re-open.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online