1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer Doubts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computerwiz5, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

I got my memory dimm, its a 2700 ddr, ecc 16MX64 8 chip samsung 138 MB. It wont fit in my gigabyte 7VAXP mobo. I might have to tell my dad to do it becasue i am a little worried anyways, i am 13 yrs old. Another problem im facing is if i have enough fans. Im running 1 front case fan and one pwr supply fan and a volcano 7= fan. On a AMD 2000+ XP. I dont remember what it runs on so can you guys please tell me so i can set my multiplier. Ithink its 1.767, i dont know? Anyways, should i buy another fan right now because i dont have enough time to get one so for a few days is it ok to run this comp with one front case fan, pwr supply fan and cpu fan. I will definetly get another one in a few days.

Thanks,
    The wiz

2. max 8

max 8

RAM will only fit into the slots in one direction. Did you try installing it in the other direction. Are you sure your motherboard takes DDR RAM?

As for having enough fans, The volcano 7should be sufficient cooling for your processor. Make sure you sure a thermal compound like Arctic Silver 3. That will help lower your cpu temp by at 3c.
    You might want to add another exhaust fan in the rear though.

Unless you unlock that processor of yours, you won't be able to change the multiplier even if your bios or motherboard allows for it. You are confusing the multiplier with the Front Side Bus.

The default speed of a XP2000 is 1.67GHz. Set your FSB to 133 and you'll be running at that speed.

3. computerwiz5

Well im using valcano 7+ with the silcone coumpound it came with is that ok, becuse im not gonna overclock it and about the exahaust fan how much are they and what a about a 80mm fan is that just as good.

4. computerwiz5

Ok i got the memory in and now i want to know if i need to hve a 2nd case fan not including the power supply and the cpu fans. Is a exaust fan better that a regulr 80mm rear case fan. I will get that fan in a few days not right now. I want to know if its ok to use my computer with one cse fan not includingthe other things.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

boot into your bios and look at your cpu temperature after its been running a while.

if its in the low to mid 40s(celsius), your ok on fans. if its much higher (50+) then you want more fans/better heatsink.

generally you want at least one fan in front pulling air into the machine and another one (besides the ps fan) in back pushing the air out. keep your cables neat to maximize airflow.

6. computerwiz5

but is it ok if the macjine doesnt have a rear fan for a day or 2 i only need to install windows 95 and then 98 tomarrow

7. E-Quality

E-Quality

Computerwiz5

You got a decent machine there. Put WinME or Windows 2000 Pro on it at the least.

By the way, you are find with what you have now. I have the same machine as your XP2000+ with one rear exhausive fan and 80MM cpu fan. Been running it for 2 weeks and nothing's melt yet. Although I do want to put extra front fan later. But for now you are cool. Do not overclock yet at this point yet of course.

EQ

8. computerwiz5

were did u get yor exhaust fan from

9. rugrat

rugrat

Just throwing in my 2 cents, Go with the advice from Jtoast on the cooling. As far as the operating system, if you have the 95 disk and the 98 upgrade, you do NOT need to install 95. During the 98 setup it will ask for the 95 disk to prove you own a qualified operating system. 98se is, in my opinion, the most stable of any 9x operating system. The 80mm fan is an intake or exhaust fan, just depends on which end of the case you mount it on and which way you have the air flowing. In general, the front fan blows in (intake) and the back fan blows out (exhaust). Hope you are having a good time learning with this project, we have all been there!!!

SeeYa

10. E-Quality

E-Quality

Rugrat is right. It just my preference to have exhaust at the back of the computer. I don't feel good to have hot air blowing out from the front.

As for stability, my preference is WinME. I have it for 3 years in the other comp and never crash for once. Although I am having a dual boot on Win XP and Win 2000 in the new computer.

EQ

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'll have to admit, this is a first! You are the very first person that has ever picked ME as the most stable O/S, and I've talked to 100's of people over the last few years about the tradeoffs between O/S environments! Normally, ME comes in dead last! I think you should buy a lottery ticket, because you must sure be lucky! :)

12. E-Quality

E-Quality

LOL .. i guess I am or may be know how to manage it.

13. computerwiz5

I have another problem

Well.. I'm not using artic silver because i dont overclock and i dont think its really gonna matter. I have the sicone coumpound that came with my volcano 7+. The reason why it came wiht the heat sink is to be used. But, when i applied the silocone coumpound i didnt put it on the heatsink i put it on the CPU i guees that is ok. The artic silver manuel said not to do that. So i am a little worried. I have turned it on because i am still buliding the computer. And when i sat the heatsink didnt automaticlly touch the heatsink, but i gues it did when i secured it with the clips on the side.

If you can please give me feed back.

Danny

14. torgo

torgo

You should bbe able to get a case fan at any computer store(about 10.99) or have your parents order one online(about 4.99 + shipping) one site(googlegear.com has free shipping on a lot of items).

as far as heatsinks/cpu fans, most have a depressionon one side to fit the cpu socket. you should always be extremely careful when installing the clips that hold the fan on. I have destroyed a motherboard by being impatient.

-You have an Athlon XP for goodness sakes install XP Home, your 2000 is called that because in that OS it will act like a P4 2GHZ even tho it is clocked at 1670.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice