1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer freezes up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Artifman, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Artifman

Artifman Thread Starter

Just bough a new PC:
    Pentium IV 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600, Win XP Home SP2. The computer works fast and fine with documents and etc.The problems begin when I try to use CD-ROM:
    The music CDs play fine, but when I load some software CD (to install drivers, programs and etc.), computer just freezes up and I have to reset. Alt+Ctrl+Del does not work. I can move the mouse pointer, but everything else is dead. I replaced the new CD-ROM drive with my old one, but the same thing keeps happening.
    Also, i believe the same thing happens when i play games (Half-Life 2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 to be exact), it works fine for sometime and then freezes and I have to reboot again (though it might fork fine for hours with no problems). There are no message windows, no sounds and the HDD light stops flickering.

2. axis77

axis77

have you tried vice versa? how about putting your new cd rom into your old pc if you still have it, or you could ask a buddy to pop into his pc and see the results. now is the problem something like this: as soon as you pop in a cd the drive just spin likes crazy? and seems to take up all your resources? I would really suspect a faulty cd drive, but you claim the old does the same thing?

3. gamma ramp

gamma ramp

If it is a off the shelf store bought PC I'll bet donuts to dollars that the power supply is lacking. A good quality power supply rated at a minimum of 350 watts is where you want to be with a system like yours

4. Artifman

Artifman Thread Starter

From what I have experienced in past 2 days, I can only say that computer freezes only when CD with any EXE files are loaded (any other format works fine), eather autoplay.exe or simply if i open folder on a CD with *.exe in it.
    CR-ROM drive has nothing to do with it, it works fine.
    Wires are good too, i tried different ones with no success.
    Power supply is plentiful.
    All other formats (music, video, dll and ect.) work fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice