1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer - Internet & Win Media Player SLOW

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by snvyas, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snvyas

snvyas Thread Starter

I bought a new Sony Vaio LS 25 E computer with Vista Home Premium & 2 G of RAM. I have it plugged into my DLink DI-634M router (not using the wireless capabilities). Previously, I had a Vaio with Windows XP before and had blazing fast internet and smooth Windows Media Center operation (with 1 G of RAM).

I use Firefox and the internet is painfully slow. Not only that but Windows Media Center is choppy and going through all the menus is slow/choppy/frustrating. I have not changed my ISP provider or anything else since I got the new computer. I use Norton Antivirus but have disabled the phishing filter.

Are there fixes or tweaks I can perform on this otherwise beautiful machine to make it run better? My other applications run pretty well but since I use the internet and WMP most of the time it has been a very frustrating few days...

Could it be my drivers (even though they came preinstalled)? Is it my router? Do I need a Windows Vista compatible one?

2. Wally15

Wally15

I had internet issues with vista, the internet was working fine, and then it became really slow.
    I had xp installed on the same computer, so I tried the internet through xp and it worked fine.
    I tried absolutely everything in trying to find a solution. Through this forum we found that the issue was the driver for the network card. It had installed an update for this device 10 days previously, and it worked fine for the 10 days. So we didn't think that it was the network card.
    Until someone saw the message posted on this forum, and had the same problem. He installed an older driver for the network card. So I justed rolled back the driver for mine, and bingo the internet was back to working fine. I don't know if this willl help, but it is worth trying. Good Luck

Wendy:eek:

3. snvyas

snvyas Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea but I am not sure it will work for us. The reason being is that this is a new computer that came preinstalled with Vista & never had XP on it. Does anyone know if the driver could be an issue with this? I would figure that a driver that came preinstalled would have taken care of issues like that...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!