1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer IP Adddress 169.254.xxx.xx

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deevee, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deevee

deevee Thread Starter

Someone gave me a computer that he built - it is a via tech system model kt400-8235 running windows xp home edition.

He reinstalled windows before giving it to me - so it has nothing on it. There is an ethernet card - when I try to connect to internet it won't. I checked IP address and it shows 169.254.153.32 - which I have learned is a default IP assigned by windows?

I have called my internet provider (comcast broadband cable) - they tell me to buy a new ethernet cable. It works fine with another computer so I don't think its the cable.

I have also reinstalled windows - uninstalled/reinstalled ethernet in device manager - tried to have IP reissued/reassigned. Nothing has worked so far.

I need to figure out what to do to be able to connect to internet. I'm probably beginner+ level knowledge (just enough to be dangerous - not enough to know what I'm doing).

Any help will be appreciated - thanks in adanvce.

2. renegade X

renegade X

OMG!!! Comcast's customer service is about as good as their internet service!!!!!! If the cable was bad you would not even get THAT address.:(
    That IP indicates that a DHCP server is not available. Try to following:

1) Go to the Control Panel
    2) Open Network Connections (Click on "Classic View" if you do not see this.)
    3) Right-click Local Area Connection and select properties
    4) Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    5) If you are connected directly to your cable modem, make sure to select "Obtain an IP address automatically".

If that was already selected, please let us know everything about your home network.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You don't mention a router. Without one you can't get multiple pcs on the comcast link.

Comcast also, at least in my neck of the woods, logs your pcs mac address. You would need to "clone" this address for you to get an ip from them. Usually you would do this in the router. You can do this with a pc also if just via hub or direct connect to modem.

4. deevee

deevee Thread Starter

I'll try your suggestion when I get home.

There is nothing fancy at all about how I connect - I have a comcast broadband modem - and I connect via ethernet directly from the cpu to the modem. No router in between. Only 1 computer connected.

It shouldn't be this hard to get on the internet...should it? lol

5. deevee

deevee Thread Starter

One more thing - my LAN icon at the bottom of the screen shows "limited or no connectivity" when I right click it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a modem only you have to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds or so) it when switching the device connected to it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice